Driving from SJU to Rincon

We're arriving at the airport around 6:00 PM and were hoping to drive to Rincon that night. Approximately how long does that drive take, and is it unwise to do in the evening? This will be our first visit to the island, but we will only have a couple days in Rincon so we hoped to get there as soon as possible. Any advise?

It is fine to drive from San Juan to Rincon at night. You will be driving PR-26 to PR-22 to PR-2. The first two are major multilane highways. PR-2 from Hatillo is a stop & go road with stoplights etc.; however it should be relatively low traffic by the time you get there. I would guess it will probably take you 2.5 hrs in the evening. If you have a car GPS or GPS app in your phone (U.S. cell carriers cover PR without charge) then use it so you don't get lost. Baggage can also be a little slow to come at the airport, so don't forget to take that into consideration if you are checking bags. Have a nice visit.

What's your final destination in Rincon? If you like I'll email you GPS coordinates and these can be used in Google Maps.

Unless you run into traffic or miss an exit, 2.5 hours is about right. Beware of merging traffic. They do it a bit differently than you are used to. Watch out for motorcycles driving between cars. Don't expect anybody to use a turn signal when changing lanes. Stay alert. Once you get off of Rt.22 and get on Rt.2. find a place to stop and get some Pinchos to get your trip started off right

Thanks for the great info. We're thinking about staying at the Rincon of the Seas Grand Caribbean Hotel. It looks like a good spot. Would love the coordinates, thank you. Anyone have any comments about that hotel?

2 plus hrs for another $60, you can fly in to Aguadilla, a 25 min drive to Rincón

open water swimmer girl wrote:

We're thinking about staying at the Rincon of the Seas Grand Caribbean Hotel. It looks like a good spot. Would love the coordinates, thank you. Anyone have any comments about that hotel?

My wife stayed there not too long ago with a bunch of family members. They liked it a lot (and I felt sorry for myself that I couldn't join them because of work. :) )