Changing Car Plate

Hi,
If anyone can please let me know if he has changed his/her UK car plate to Maltese one and how much was the total amount incurred and paperwork. One thing is that i don't have a EU driving license.
I am on UK plate and it will be 6 months soon and instead of going to Italy for a day to come back for another 6 months, if I can change it here and if that will be less hassle or not. 
Thanks

Edit. Didn't see you were from Australia.

But......for info...........A UK licence is valid in all EU countries, no need to change it.
Cannot inform DVLC of any change of address, they have no means by which you can so don't worry.

newinmalta wrote:

I am on UK plate and it will be 6 months soon and instead of going to Italy for a day to come back for another 6 months,
Thanks

it doesnt work like that - if you are a tourist, the car can remain in Malta for 6 months in 12, you cannot reset the clock by leaving for a day
if you are resident, you should have registered the car within 30 days, and its now illegal for you to drive it, and could be subject to a € 30 fine per day

the car and your driving licence are completely separate issues

http://www.transport.gov.mt/land-transp … ng-licence

"Any person holding a licence issued outside Malta and the European Union shall be entitled to drive in Malta for a period not exceeding twelve months from the date of his last entry into Malta."

From the TM  website..

Any person holding a licence issued outside Malta and the European Union shall be entitled to drive in Malta for a period not exceeding twelve months from the date of his last entry into Malta.

Any holder of a European Union driving licence, a Swiss or an Australian driving licence issued by a Swiss or an Australian State and Territory licensing authorities, who takes up normal residence in Malta, shall be entitled to have his driving licence exchanged for an equivalent Maltese licence.

European Union driving licences shall be recognised in Malta as long as they are valid in country of issuance.

As Georgeingozo said

If you are resident taking the vehicle to Italy or Sicily will not help with your registration problem.

How did you manage to get insurance?

Terry

newinmalta wrote:

Hi,
If anyone can please let me know if he has changed his/her UK car plate to Maltese one and how much was the total amount incurred and paperwork.

The amount depends on the car, can be from hundreds to thousands, even tens of thousands of euros.