Visiting Srilanka as a tourist. Need advises.

Hi all,
I'm one of the senior EB members from Oman forum.

I'll be visiting Srilanka during the first week of March'15 with my wife and a 3 year old toddler (For 9 days approximately).  I have few things to ask if you could help me out.

1-  Cheap local rent-a-car (Self only). That's the main issue / search, i'm facing these days. If someone could share a local contact number, would highly appreciate.

2-  Cost of the Petrol / Fuel in Srilanka
3-  I and my wife are nature lovers (Mountains / waterfalls / lakes and related stuff). Please guide the best natural places to visit by car (Distance is not a problem even if too far away)
4-  Do's and Dont's in SL. Hope the people are friendly enough to treat tourists well.
5-  Any other advise, someone could add for a tourist.

Awaiting everyone's response, that may also help many other tourists like me.

regards,
Schaz.

Hi,

I'm Thushara de silva  working as freelance driver, if you like I can guide you  for your up coming tour.
as well as I can speak Arabic

Thushara

Thushara1970 wrote:

Hi,

I'm Thushara de silva  working as freelance driver, if you like I can guide you  for your up coming tour.
as well as I can speak Arabic

Thushara

Thank you very much brother, but im looking to hire a car on "Self".
Would appreciate if you can guide me to hire a cheap car as "Self Drive".  Please be informed that im not an arab...    :)

regards.

Schaz, we would like to welcome you to Sri Lanka, and hear more about Oman.

You are welcome to use our vehicle, or one of our friend's vehicles for self-driving your way around Sri Lanka, and we expect to charge you only about $40-50 per day, to cover costs only.

Please let me know if you prefer Automatic or Manual gears.  Please bring an International Driving License, though you will probably not need it.

Getting around Sri Lanka by car is no problem at all, roads are fairly decent, and all places are accessible within a day's drive.  But it really helps if you have some experience driving in other neighboring countries like India, Pakistan, etc., because drivers are definately not as well behaved and law abiding as in Dubai, and I expect, Oman!

Cost of fuel in Sri Lanka is presently under US$ 1 per litre.

There are basically no "don'ts" in Sri Lanka, except be careful making new friends with local "touts" on the beaches, and getting into non-metered "tuk-tuks" which we wont imagine you will need to do.

The rest we can fill you in about when we hopefully meet, please try to make your first day or two at Negombo Beach, a very nice beach resort area, close to the Airport, so our families can meet, we too, have a 4 year old!

Waiting to hear from you, with regards, Sam & Sheena.

thank you very much for the detailed response and is indeed helpful. I would contact you via PM for any further information..

I really appreciate the hospitality of srilankan people out here.

Please send ur e.mail id to extend my help.

Thanks and regards
Rila