Marriage to a Brazilian lady

I have been married to a Brazilian lady for 10 years. We were married in the USA but we have not went to the consulate in Houston to have it formalized for Brazil. She has moved back to Brazil while I am taking care of business here before moving to Brazil. The question is whether I can get the marriage formalized here before going to Brazil or must I wait until I move to Brazil where she already is now residing before getting the marriage formalized?

You will need to register your marriage at the Brazilian consulate, They will give an certificate. Once you have that paper and come to Brazil you will need to go to Cartorio de Primeiro Oficial at center city and register your marriage. Pay i think R$160 reais and they will give you an Brazilian Marriage certificate.

Hope this helps

I appreciate the information. It is 600 miles to the consulate in Houston so when I go to apply for my visa I should be able to get the marriage formalized there. Just wondering, since they come to Oklahoma City twice a year, if they possibly could do so here instead of the long trip to Houston?
  Again, thank you for the information.

If by your question regarding to formalize your relationship with a Brazilian woman, you mean you wish to be legally married to her in Brazil, not just in the US, then you would need to go to Brazil, so you and she could register at the marriage bureau and be married there by a judge.

Hello Roadtripking,

Yes, if they have a "mobile Consulado-Geral" that comes to Oklahoma City then the marriage can be registered there.

You should be aware that according to their regulations only the Brazilian citizen spouse can register the marriage. If your wife is in Brazil and will not be returning to the USA before then, you should invest in a phone call to the Consulate to explain the situation and find out if they will allow you to register the marriage in her absence. See B Documentation (a)  second paragraph in the link below:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=376293

Don't forget also that even though you register the marriage at the Consulado, once in Brazil you must also register it at the 1º Oficio do Registro Civil de Pessoas Naturais either in the city where you will reside in Brazil or in Brasília (your choice).

It would be wise to phone them anyway and let them know in advance that it's your intention to register a marriage, you wouldn't want to be prevented from doing so simply because they weren't prepared and hadn't brought the documents and registry books they need with them from Houston.

Cheers,
James

I appreciate the information and advice. It will be a few months before they come here so I will call and get all the information for formalizing our marriage as well as getting all my visa information and paperwork ready.
  I may have to fly down there anyway before they come here. It is just a long trip and trying to save time and money.
    Thank you.