Cost of Bicycle?

What's the cost of a basic bicycle?

Would I better be off bringing one with me on the plane from the US?

If you want a high end bike, yes, bring it with you. Pretty much any imported sports equip is expensive in Ecuador. The locally manufactured bikes are crap. I rode up the coast on one. The bolts for the handlebars stripped out on the first day. I broke a crank on the 3rd day. After two weeks I ditched it at a hostel in Canoa and hitched a ride.

Jesse's right -- the prices on high-end bikes in Quito sporting goods stores are incredible. I can't remember specifics, but I do remember walking out of the stores in shock.

I was looking for something like I had in the US -- serviceable bikes, suitable for exercise, that I bought at Walmart or Target for $150-200. I found no such thing there.

Maybe you could look around on OLX or similar sites to see if there are things that interest you. If not, you may have to bring one with you (if Customs will allow it).

I'm guessing there aren't too many bicycle shops or sporting equipment stores in towns like Latacunga or Jipijapa.  But if you're in, say, Quito, consider joining the free bicycle-loaner program before investing in a bike.

The reason I would suggest this is to have a trial period.

Riding on Quito city streets is an adventure in any vehicle, and I suspect, especially on a bicycle.

Yes, there are bicycle lanes on some major streets.  But do you really think 100 percent of "la gente" is courteously following the rules....

Bicycle riders are more vulnerable than car drivers just by the nature of things.

I would say, try out the rental and see if you really want to get around town via bicycle.  It could be riskier and more challenging that you might expect.

Many bicycles are typically available for the free loaner program along major bus lines. 

There's some paperwork, but I inquired and was told (a few months ago) that the joiner fee has been dropped and use of the bikes is free.

It's technically a way for the city to reduce vehicle congestion and pollution.

Typically, you pick up a bicycle for up to 45 minutes and ride it to another participating bike-loaner spot, where you can take a bike-break, then get another bike if you want.

The bicycles are available only during the daytime, but you don't want to be riding around the big city on a bike when it's dark, anyway.

cccmedia in Quito

Anyone know if TAME allows bicycles on the plane for domestic flights?

My mom plans to fly in using Aeromexico to Quito--they charge $50 extra for the bike. But, we could not find any info. on TAME. From my research for domestic flights it looks like they don't allow extra baggage? But I might have overlooked some things and that doesn't make sense because how do people who move from other countries to EC not take any excessive baggage?

wlae84 wrote:

Anyone know if TAME allows bicycles on the plane for domestic flights?

My mom plans to fly in using Aeromexico to Quito--they charge $50 extra for the bike. But, we could not find any info on TAME. From my research for domestic flights, it looks like they don't allow extra baggage....

TAME allows extra baggage on most of its flights.

For basic information about 2015 TAME excess fees, visit:

www.airline-baggage-fees.com(forward-slash)tame.php

On that site, however, it is clearly stated that information about sporting equipment -- say, a bicycle, for instance -- is not available on the site.

That leads you to a visit at the TAME website to find out the airline's bicycle policy.  In addition to the U.S. "800 number" listed at the top of the welcome page -- 855-701-7244 -- the "Contactos" option can lead one to the TAME Miami office's phone number and email. 

As you may already know, the TAME site is:    www.tame.com.ec

I mention U.S. options for contacting TAME because it would make sense for Mom to interact with them directly, even if it concerns a domestic EC flight.  That direct interaction could avert confusion down the line.  After all, these excess-baggage issues can be detailed and complicated.

cccmedia in Quito