Learning Languages

Ola Expats!

yes, the "holiday season" is slowly grinding to a halt, by next week all schools will have returned meaning us office drones have to be up an entire hour early in order to be at the office on time.

On the plus side, this does give us more time en route, which can be utilized in a manner most beneficial, especially for those that drive and have a penchant for learning.

I refer to audio learning; there are many, many series on the subject, from language to astrology. I prefer the former, and in that regard i've chose to occupy my time driving by picking up another language, or two, or three.

Growing up in Kuwait and doing my time in the English schooling system, I was given the opportunity to learn quite a bit of French, which is coming back to me now that I am paying attention to Michel Thomas's audio learning system. Also in the series, learn Russian, German, Italian, Spanish, Dutch and even Arabic! The man was a genius (god rest his soul).

so, for those of you wanting to learn a language, this method seems most opportune. We can even end up having weekly or so meetings whereby groups attempting to learn a language can have a few discussions in said language over a friendly cup of coffee, or game of something, or run (hehe, my forte).

what say you? a new way to learn from the comfort of your own car, or even any time really, you can plug it onto your iPod and go for a learning walk etc. the opportunities are limitless, and the amount of time you have on your hands is your own.

Excellent idea @legacy ... I have been wanting to go back to learning French for quite sometime now. With a group and some nice learning tools progress can be achieved. I suggest that a group will decide a topic each week and start learning the vocabulary associated with the topic and get together to discuss the topic in the language they study. Watcha think? :)

On a side note, I wanted my kids to learn French, where can I take them? Any suggestions?

Well, with a knowledge of English, and these mp3s, c'est tres possible ;)

Let's meet up today and I'll give em all to you.

Sorry i cant recall how far back you'd asked me for the french ones :S
Forgive me :p