How to live in Toronto on only $1,140 Canadian per month

If you're single person on a limited budget, then here is a monthly budget for your cost of living:

- Rent for 1 bedroom with shared kitchen and bathroom $500
- Public transportation $130
- Food $300
- Clothing $60
- Telephone & Internet: $150
- Entertainment - up to you

Total: $1140

If you are a bit more discerning and require some privacy then you're rent will be more like $800 for a bachelor apartment with your own kitchen and bathroom increasing your monthly living expenses to $1440

I have helped many individuals move to Toronto and find a good place to live and know some of the choices you will need to make.

Thank you for sharing this information on the forum minaudo. It will be of help for the other members. :top:

Shaazia
Expat.com Team

Want to come over there  my self dr darshan joshi
Pvt consultant taking 5 lacs for
All processes rent food and job air ticket work permitted visa
It is worth
Plz guide me if other way

I don't understand what you're paying, paying for and asking me. Please clarify. If you like we can skype and discuss it. Message me your skype ID and I'll add you as a contact.

Given that the Ontario Minimum Wage is $10.25 per hour (roughly $1,640.00 per month) and even single people have extreme difficulty living on that amount in the Greater Toronto Area, I think that it would be almost impossible for one to get by spending only $1,140.00. To be honest I think that even $1,440.00 per month would really be a stretch. Perhaps one could squeak by on that in smaller cities like Hamilton, but if they were commuting to Toronto to work any possible savings would be more than offset by the cost of commuting.

I really think that two or more working people sharing accommodations (rent and utilities), such as a two bedroom apartment or basement suite would be much more cost effective.

Cheers,
James    Expat-blog Experts Team

James wrote:

Given that the Ontario Minimum Wage is $10.25 per hour (roughly $1,640.00 per month) and even single people have extreme difficulty living on that amount in the Greater Toronto Area, I think that it would be almost impossible for one to get by spending only $1,140.00. To be honest I think that even $1,440.00 per month would really be a stretch. Perhaps one could squeak by on that in smaller cities like Hamilton, but if they were commuting to Toronto to work any possible savings would be more than offset by the cost of commuting.

I really think that two or more working people sharing accommodations (rent and utilities), such as a two bedroom apartment or basement suite would be much more cost effective.

Cheers,
James    Expat-blog Experts Team

James, please refer to the breakdown of the budget that was provided at the top of this thread. You will note that one of the conditions is that you're renting a bedroom. So in fact, you would be sharing an apartment or house. That is how you reduce the largest component of your budget for living in Toronto (Rent). If you are used to splurging on dinners out and gadgets or other luxuries, then you're correct you can live on that budget. That is why the title of the threat is 'how to live on....' This also doesn't account for emergency or unexpected expenses, such as illness or accident. Hope this provides enough clarity for you to understand how to live on that budget. If you feel I've left out some items that should be included in the budget, then please let share with us what they should be.