Housing and cost of living in Singapore

Hi guys, we will be moving to Singapore within 2 months . We are a family of 3 (Mr., Mrs, and toddler) we look forward to rent a 2 bhk, and need advice on how to go about it. Looking for furnished apartment. Does a furnished apartment come with washing machine , mixer, toaster and other kitchen appliances? What is the average monthly cost of living for a family the size of ours, given that we would like our daughter to study in an international school, I would really appreciate the break up of expenses ( house rent, electricity, water, gas, travel to work, eat out, groceries, house help, etc,)

Hello, I do know that rent for a couple (with baby) will be about SGD $1700 with bed, TV, wardrobe, aircon, kitchenette, fridge, no washer (due to Laundromat about 5 minutes walk away downstairs). Comes with swimming pool, gymnasium, tennis court, barbeque place, garden. [moderated: please post in Housing in Singapore]

Do u mean washing machine for washer?. What about pots and pans?

So sorry, pots pans, chopsticks, forks, spoons, are left to the renter to buy themselves depending on their own brand or how many they want to choose. It is the same for rugs, toilet paper, broom,  and other tools or whatever you call it (I am sorry my English is not good)

No washer is available as the laundry shop is 5 minutes away where you put in your clothes in coin-vended machines

I really appreciate ur time, thank u, . Could u help me with my query on house helps also.

I'm moving to Singapore within two months, I have a few concerns regarding house helps/ maids. Are they easily available to work 3 days a week ? What are their salaries like? Do they charge by the hour or by the day or monthly? And where can we find one? Do they have some formal paperwork to do before they start the work? Thanks.

I had not got any feedback on this. So hoping u can help.

sorry dear, I am not familiar with house helps because I always do my own house chores.

Contrary to what louiss100 wrote above, I found that very few apartments are available for rent at below S$2000/month, and the nicer ones usually cost S$2500 and more. You better budget for that to avoid disappointment.
Furnished flats are common, and this may or may not include a washing machine (it depends on the landlord), but there will definitely be no small kitchen appliances, pots and pans, etc. (Buy your own!)
Part-time household help is difficult to find and costs S$15-20 per hour. Full-time, live-in maids are more common and the cost (salary, insurance, levy, etc.) comes to S$1000-1200/month, plus accommodation (she must be living with you, by law) and food. There are many maid agencies who can help you find a good helper.
International schools are expensive at S$1000-3000/month, and there are long waiting lists at some. Local schools only cost around S$500/month (for foreign students), but it is even more difficult to get a place.

Regarding living costs: The average Singapore household also has two adults and one kid and earns S$8000-10000 a month. Please note that the average local does not pay rent, because they own a (government-subsidized) HDB flat. So you need to add rent to that number to have the same living standard as them.

So are you saying that we need to have a minimum net salary of 13,000k to live comfortably in Singapore but then that would mean no saving, right?

The definition of "comfortable" is highly individual.
I would say that the average local has a comfortable life (and they definitely have savings, too), but if you want to have a car, maid and send your kid to international school, it won't be enough.

BelowS$8000/month will definitely not be comfortable in your situation. Singapore is one of the most expensive places on earth!

Hello everyone, I state that I am completely ignorant of how it is organized Singapore, so sorry if my question is going to seem stupid: The cost of living in Singapore is so high across all the island or there are areas where life has a similar cost to the rest of the world? I mean it would not be possible to work in the richest area of the city and live in a much more modest area so you can live well even without a very high salary? Living in Malaysia and work in Singapore is an unthinkable idea?
:/

Singapore is a small island of approx. 45 km East-West and 25 km North-South which is almost completely covered by the city of Singapore. The rents do vary somewhat over the island (a sublet room that costs S$1200 in the centre might be S$800 far from it), but everything else costs the same.
But you can still live there reasonably cheap if you can adapt to the local way of life, rent only a room, do not drink or smoke and have no car. Such a lifestyle would cost less there than in most Western European big cities.
Living in Malaysia is not possible because you won't get a visa for both countries.

In simple words. 5000 dollar salary per month if you are single
10 k + if you have a family .
Education is expensive.
Also which districts you will live in .
If you want to save are ready to travel you can live in a district where rent is less compared to others .district 9,10,11 are the most expensive districts to stay
Regards

Hi Friends,

I am from india and planning to move to Singapore soon for some project work.

I am wondering about the cost of living when I check that in internet. Need your help to estimate the approximate cost of living. I am having a small son and spouse, so we are three,,,,hou much does a chepest room cost for a family in Singapore...your feedback will be highly appreciated

Room rentals are S$800-1500/month (depending on location and if a bath is attached to the room), but do you really want to live in a sublet room / shared flat with others?
Whole apartments start at S$2500/month, but you better budget S$3000 or more to have something decent in a more convenient location.
Private or international schools costs S$1000-3000/month. Child care for smaller kids S$1000-1500/month.
Daily living expenses (food, transport, toiletries, clothes, limited leisure activities, etc.) cost S$800-1000/month per person for a frugal lifestyle, more if you want luxuries like special foods, occasional taxi rides, travel (incl. home trips) or if you smoke or drink.
You can only bring your wife and kid if you earn above S$5000/month - please note that you need even more to afford a reasonable lifestyle!

Shaguftakhan wrote:

So are you saying that we need to have a minimum net salary of 13,000k to live comfortably in Singapore but then that would mean no saving, right?

I really don't think you understand. Singapore has more millionaires per capita than any country in the WORLD... MORE THAN DUBAI,

So prepare yourself for a different world. Your going to be servicing the SUPER RICH. Whatever your job will be you will be looked upon as a servant. You also will be treated as one. Welcome to the service industry. I'm sure you thought you were going to hire a maid and feel like royalty. That may happen but only when you are at home with your spouse and baby and maid, but as soon as you leave for work you become their servant. Get ready for culture shock.

Dear Beppi,,,thanks for the reply...

I am ok to have a small room but independent,,,,,, since my kid is 6 month old, so no schooling needed for him,,,

can I manage there if I am getting 5000 SGD per month overall,, how can I save,,,,

how much tax I need to pay....please help me on this...

You should read related discussions already present on this forum - all of this is answered several times a week.
And with my reply above you can also estimate your cost of life and rental for various options.
In any case, S$5000 is not much for a family of three. You will be poor and there will be no savings.