Temp residency: Self-sufficiency vs. self-employment vs employment

Hi,

Can someone highlight if there's an advantage or disadvantage for registering for residency based on self-sufficiency vs. self-employment vs employment? Does self-employment mean the money has to come from some sort of self-employment in Malta itself? I have the money to qualify for self-sufficiency. I also have web-based business that to me seems like self-employment. Yet, if I found options for working in Malta, I'd consider them. So I still don't understand which of the 3 is the best to register under initially.

Also, if self-employed/self-sufficient, is there any advantage to paying into the social security scheme? Is that optional? Someone has posted on a previous thread that self-employed ppl pay 28 euro a week (is that right?), but for more than 100 euro a month, I could just as well get private medical insurance. 

Tks!

Are you an EU citizen ?

My fiance is French. I'm American. We'll be married when moving to Malta.

OK, so you will be a dependent of an EU citizen  - I think thats then the class of residency you will be applying for - your then wife will need to choose her category - self-sufficiency vs. self-employment vs employment

if she has the money and health cover to apply under self sufficiency then thats the easiest

Can someone please give me a CURRENT scenario for a non EU Australian passport holder.
I am just coming up for my first 90 days and was about to apply on Form K self sufficient grounds, complete with all documentation including current health insurance......Does this category still exist and can one still apply for an e residence card on these grounds as a non EU citizen?  Ideally would like to stay for 183 days per year (longer I think is not possible)

I just went through this process in July 2014. I have a New Zealand passport and applied for the self economic visa but was turned down for the reason that they no longer issue this visa to non EUs except Syrians I think it was. My only option was to apply for a work permit as self employed. Malta being Malta a different person may give you a different answer so it would pay to pop in and ask for certain. I think they have done away with self economic visa in favour of the Global Residence Programme. Its essentially the same thing and will allow you to reside in Malta long term but it does have requirements to meet. Google it for latest information

Self-employment is not usually allowed for third-country national. The ETC Guidelines quote :

In respect of third country nationals, an employment licence is required and is only granted in exceptional cases. In order to qualify for self-employed status, a third country national must meet one or more of the following criteria:

a.  Invest in Malta capital expenditure  of at least Eur 100,000 within 6 months from the date on which the ETC licence is issued.  Capital expenditure shall solely consist of fixed assets (such as immovable property, plant and machinery) used for the business purposes as reflected in the business plan submitted with the application. Rental contracts do not qualify.  Such expenditure needs to be supported by receipts in the TCN's name. The application also needs to be accompanied by a letter of reference in respect of the TCN, from a reputable Maltese bank that certifies that the TCN has the facility to raise such capital;

b.  Highly skilled innovators with a sound business plan - to be submitted with application - who commit to recruiting at least three EEA/Swiss/Maltese nationals within eighteen months of establishment;

c. Sole representative of an overseas company (with a sound reputation and established for at least three years abroad) wishing to open a branch in Malta - evidence of representation is required;

So, generally speaking, this is not an option for non-EU citizens.

Cheers
Ricky

True ... I didn't mention that I fit into option c. Thanks