Vietnamese passport rules

I have a question for anyone having experience with obtaining a vietnamese passport or know the laws governing this kind of document. I applied and payed $300 for a first time passport a couple months before I came to Vietnam hoping it would come in time before I left, it did not. I've been patiently waiting for it and have called the office in DC to check up on it with no avail. I just called to check on it and the woman said it still has not arrived and sometimes can take 6-7 months. She said she would call my cell when it arrived, I explained to her that I am currently in Vietnam and she seemed shocked, and said they will NOT send me my passport to my address in the US until I go back into the US. As I try to ask why and get more info, she abruptly hung up...bunch of effin' slackers over there in DC, can't believe they get salary and benefits with the slacking that goes on there but that is another story for another day. So yeah, can anyone confirm this is legitimate process!? Is it possible to somehow obtain my passport in HCMC when I go down there? So perplexed...any help or info would be appreciated.

Try putting this in your browser and check out the links.
< https://duckduckgo.com/?q=vietnamese+pa … egislation >

Jaitch wrote:

Try putting this in your browser and check out the links.
< https://duckduckgo.com/?q=vietnamese+pa … egislation >

Thanks..I did not see any specific info on this. I really don't understand why  me being in Vietnam would be an issue!? I feel like I just gave them $300 with no way to get it back even if nothing comes from this. Seems very sketchy.

I think he meant visa to Vietnam. Otherwise I think you need to be citizen of Vietnam to obtain a Vietnamese passport. And I don't know how you can be in Vietnam without a visa.

Or am I missing something? I'm confused too.

daCabbie wrote:

I'm lost....You are Vietnamese and you are living in Vietnam? You are trying to get a Vietnamese passport through the U.S....but you live in Vietnam?

I'm confused with the story? Is it just me?

Not sure what is confusing...sorry, I may not have clearly explained myself. I am a vietnamese american trying to obtain a first time passport so I would not have to deal with three month extensions, etc.. I found out I could obtain a viet passport most likely because I fit all the criteria. All other info is stated. Does that clear up the confusion?

khanh44 wrote:

I think he meant visa to Vietnam. Otherwise I think you need to be citizen of Vietnam to obtain a Vietnamese passport. And I don't know how you can be in Vietnam without a visa.

Or am I missing something? I'm confused too.

I meant passport. I am currently in Vietnam with a VEC.

I fit this criteria...

http://vietnamembassy-usa.org/consular/ … e-passport

Ah I understand now. There was a pilot project that ended in July. Not sure if it's still ongoing but basically it allowed Vietnamese born or child of Vietnamese born parents to obtain Vietnamese citizenship.

I guess this first time Vietnamese passport skips the citizenship step which would be a problem an American passport holder.

If you have reclaimed your citizenship (an exercise in form filling) and paid all the fees, passport issuance (as experienced by my employees) is about 2-weeks.

Copy (not take the original) receipt and go back to Immigration. Maybe someone is hoping you will leave before they issue the passport (and they get to keep the money)!

khanh44 wrote:

Ah I understand now. There was a pilot project that ended in July. Not sure if it's still ongoing but basically it allowed Vietnamese born or child of Vietnamese born parents to obtain Vietnamese citizenship.

I guess this first time Vietnamese passport skips the citizenship step which would be a problem an American passport holder.

Yes, this is not my situation. Mine is what is stated, someone on another forum mentioned that the people in DC were possibly concerned with misuse of my passport as I was not in the US to receive it but I really do not feel like this is the issue. These embassy of vietnam staff is so lazy and crazy, I cannot believe they get all they get. You would think they realize how good they have it and actually be helpful to people...jesus christ.

Jaitch wrote:

If you have reclaimed your citizenship (an exercise in form filling) and paid all the fees, passport issuance (as experienced by my employees) is about 2-weeks.

Copy (not take the original) receipt and go back to Immigration. Maybe someone is hoping you will leave before they issue the passport (and they get to keep the money)!

I have no receipt of anything. A money order and all forms and copies of my documents are sent to DC express mailed, etc.. There is no written receipt or copy of anything at this point. This was all done before I left, I may have that money order copy somewhere in all my stuff back the states but that is about it. I think it's hopeless...so sketchy these Vietnamese are man, even in the US.

Jaitch wrote:

I think if he had Vietnamese citizenship a passport is not necessary to stay in Vietnam but can stay forever. And he wouldn't need the service of the Vietnamese embassy in US which services Vietnamese citizens in US. But instead can apply directly at any Vietnamese immigration office in Vietnam.

And I think that is where the confusion lies.

khanh44 wrote:
Jaitch wrote:

I think if he had Vietnamese citizenship a passport is not necessary to stay in Vietnam but can stay forever. And he wouldn't need the service of the Vietnamese embassy in US which services Vietnamese citizens in US. But instead can apply directly at any Vietnamese immigration office in Vietnam.

And I think that is where the confusion lies.

Yes. I hope someone on here can give me some info. Did I just give away $300 to the embassy of vietnam in the US with no way to claim or get a refund?! I know that sounds like typical stuff here in Vietnam, but I would feel in the US there would be a legitimate legal way to make a complaint and at least get my money back if they are claiming they will not give it to me for this made up reason?

I checked with a student of mine who just got a job in Singapore.

He paid VND200,000 for a first-time passport and he had to wait 2 business weeks to pick it up. He lives in Binh Chanh and he got it from the Immigration Office at 161 Nguyen Du.

daCabbie wrote:

That is the same price my students told me for a VN passport.....which is why I don't understand the OP...if you have the right documents it is quick and simple for a Vietnamese citizen to get a VN passport....why did the OP try to get this done through the VN Embassy in DC....What I do understand is why they hung-up the phone on him.

Oh well, not my family...not my problem.

[Moderated : please do not use offensive word as language on the forum]

Well, I have no idea. This is what the consular in the US told me so I went through the motions and paid.. Do you question what they tell you?! It's like the wild west over there...no laws!

You are saying a vietnamese american in my situation can get it for that much here in Vietnam?!

I would not think it was that easy.

That's the same cost to renew my VEC every three months.

If it is actually possible for me to get one for VND200,000 then I for sure feel duped.

ABOUT REFUNDS

One of my search staff found a file named: lephilanhsu.gif. It can be downloaded from:
http://www.vietnamembassy-cambodia.org/ … f/download

It addresses refunds in Section 4. Quite honestly, at this time of the morning, I am a little too busy to read and understand the document (Saturday night shift we run a skinny shift with reduced body counts).