Cost of living in Uruguay – 2015

Hi all,

We invite you to talk about the cost of living in Uruguay in 2015, with an updated price listing.

Don't forget to mention in which city of Uruguay you are living in.

How much does it cost to live in Uruguay?

> accommodation prices

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc.)

> food prices (your monthly budget)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

> education prices (if you need to pay)

> energy prices (oil, electricity)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

> price for a good menu in a traditional restaurant

> price for a coffee or a drink

> price for cinema tickets

Do not hesitate to add items to this list! ;)

Thank you in advance for your participation.

For prices of food, appliances etc. the Tienda Inglesa website gives lots of details.

http://www.tinglesa.com.uy/

Most prices are in Uruguayan pesos but if you see U$S then it is in US dollars.  Most large appliances, TV's , computers etc. are listed in US dollars.

Don't forget that tax is always included in the price shown.  This is also the case for cars.

Hello morell

It would be so kind of you if you could share some infos here itself, since members who are connected through mobile devices may find it extremely painful to go to another site to get some answers.

Thank you

Kenjee
Expat.com Team

We live in Neptunia Norte which is on the coast in Canelones and are a family of 2 adults and 2 kids under 5

The cost of 1 litre of milk - $20 / bread $18 for a baguette
Our monthly budget for food is easily between $10,000 and $12,000 per month

Telephone with 30GB of internet per month - $800
Water - $500
Electricity - $1300
Petrol - I think this is $40 per litre but we don't have a car so I could be wrong
Emergency Ambulance - $500 per person per month and if you call them you pay an additional call out fee
Medical - I can't help you as my husband is in the military so we get this very subsidised thankfully

Bus to Montevideo - $53 - we budget $4,000 per month for my husband to get to work and back in MV

2 Pizza / 2 farina / chips / 2 milkshakes and a beer in a normal restaurant in MV came to around $500 last year
Cup Of coffee - $60
McDonalds is well expensive!!!

Educational prices vary depending on the school you want - but start from maybe £8,000 per month
Nursery for 5 days a week 4 hours per day - £2,000 per month

Hope this helps

dubbedcpt wrote:

Cup of coffee - $60
McDonalds is well expensive!!!

Confused yet, foreign readers....

I thought so.  This is one of the most confusing threads in the history of Expat.com.

That's because:  apparently, nobody told you that the dollar-sign used worldwide representing U.S. currency is identical to the dollar-sign used on this thread for Uruguayan pesos.

But the U.S. dollar (rounded to the nearest unit) is worth 25 Uruguayan pesos!

Ipso facto, that "$60" cup of coffee at the top of this post costs close to two dollars U.S.  The "$10,000" monthly food budget is really about four hundred dollars U.S.

Posters on this thread:  consider using these symbols instead of the dollar sign to avoid confusion:  25UYU, 1USD.  If that's too cumbersome, just tell which currency you'll be using at the start of your post and avoid a the "$" altogether.  Your reading audience includes folks outside Uruguay who want to know the UR cost of living, so keeping confusion to a minimum is indicated. 

cccmedia, still a bit confused in Quito, Ecuador

thank you for nice clearance.
I am new and initially totally confused and thought it is world expensive country but you make it easy.
cheers