2. Electricity -  400B
3. Water - 40B
4. True cable TV - 1,500-2,000B
5. Internet for free
6. House cleaning services - 300B/per day cleaning
7.29 THB per liter for fuel
8. Mobile - 200B prepaid
9. Food/Groceries - 12,000-15,000B
10. Eating out - 60B per day (simple Thai restaurant), 350THB-1000THB(other restaurants)
11. Coffee - 40THB-150THB
12. Cinema - 250-300B/per ticket

Don't forget this is for two of us and dog!

What does True cable TV offer you in the way of stations?  Does it include any US stations?

This is always somewhat of a subjective discussion, it very much depends upon where you reside.  If you are in the tourist areas such as Bangkok, Pattaya and Phuket, the cost of living is higher than in the provinces.  This is an accepted fact, I reside in Pattaya.
Overal, with discussions I have had with my other expat friends over the past months, there is little doubt that the cost of living has risen by at least 20% here in the last 18 months to 2 years.
Accommodation (studio modest but comfortable) , 36sqmts       8000bht mth
Electricity      900
Groceries      3000
Market           2000
Transport      1299 (2x trips per day)
Water            300
iNTERNET     500
Phone            600

These are just basics and for a singleperson, some expenses do not change whether single of double, ie. Accommodation.  The increase that I mention was triggered by the sudden labour rate per day increase by
the then Governmen from 100 per day to 300 per day.  Whilst an increase was needed, it was too much too quickly.
This spiked rises across the board in basic commodities.
In the provinces and I have had some experience there.  But I prefer to be in a more cosmopolitan city.

I am in the USA and not sure what b and thb is. And is this part of Thailand on the beach?

Hi sash
Who is your health insurance with?  Did you find them thru a broker?
Thanks

B like baht or THB like Thai Baht is the local currency in thailand approximatively 1 USD = 32.5 THB check foreign exchange rate online

I live in Bangkok (Sukhumvit 65),
Accommodation 1 bedroom Condo, 18000bht
Electricity       900
Groceries     3000
Dining          2000
Transport     MRT 1200, BTS 1000, Taxi 1000
Water             300
INTERNET    500
Phone            600
Insurance     6000

As I have never been to Thailand and thinking of retiring there, what part would you suggest as I like to be near the ocean.  Do you know how how Hau Hin and Pattaya compare.  I like a nice, pretty, quite environment but not so far away from shops etc.
Thanks for your assistance
MaryLouAnne

Hi Lok
Is that thb 6000 per month?  Thanks

Yes, I pay 200 USD a month for international health insurance (good anywhere accept the US). Medical costs are low in Thailand.

I would not stress too much about this. I think its best to spend time in both places and explore other areas. Pattaya is very popular but its sort of like living in Las Vegas.  I personally like a quieter place and prefer Krabi. I have not been to Hua Hin, but that also seems very nice.

Loki46 That is to much for a healthy young person to pay, you should check out Thai Life Insurance we may 2000.00 a year for my wife & I.  Hospital Only, if you are healthy this is a great deal.  We pay cash for doctor visit & tests, very cheap 15.00 to 25.00 for visits  30.00-50.00 for test. You could save 50% or more.  Good Luck.  Patrick

Marylouann, I would not consider Pattaya, there is a lot of crime there, lot of tourist from Russia that have brought a lot of crime to that small Island, Hua Hin is Safe, Clean, and affordable, we go there often from Bangkok.  Good Luck with your search.

Marylouann, If you are going to retire to Thailand, perhaps we can help you not make the same mistakes as we did & save you some money & time. Patrick  [email protected]

hi saw your post and i an wondering .i too live in  Chiang Mia name of condo and how i would get a tv sat like yours and possible a condo like yours . we have 130sq now here. but i like the fiber internet and tv  as well as pool. we pay about 20 k and looking for same size, hope to here from you

How much does it cost to live in Thailand?

> accommodation prices   -   depends on the locality, flat sq.mtr area, and the no of rooms
1 BHK - 25000- 40000 THB
2 BHK - 30,000 - 60,000 THB
3BHK - 35,000 - 130,000 THB

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc.)
Buses - cheap at 13 -17 THB one way
BTS - anywhere between 15thb - 50thb depending on the no of stations
Tube - anywhere between 15THB - 60thb

> food prices (your monthly budget)
depends on what kind of food one eats and how lavish are your food habits
approx 40-60,000THB would be good

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)
-Expat medical insurance ranges between 30-50,000 THB mainly inclusive of accidents of big illnesses
not inclusive of sickness and flu etc

> Education prices (if you need to pay)
depends on the kind of school expats usually choose
an international school could be between 30,000- 50,000 baht per child/month

> energy prices (oil, electricity)
Fuel is cheap
Electricity bills can be high
if using Aircons only can be high (MEA) can cost anywhere between 2000-8000 THB depending on usage and no of rooms

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)
Internet charges -1000-1500thb per month
telephone - 300-1000 depends on usage (approx charge 4THB/per minute)
mobile phone - 1000-2000 depends on usage

> price for a good menu in a traditional restaurant
meal in a good restaurant(for 4 persons)  -approx 1200-2000
meal in a roadside thai restaurant (4 people) - 500 thb

> price for a coffee or a drink
approx -100THB for a branded coffee
approx - 30thb for a roadside thai coffee
hard drinks - 150-200 thb per peg in a decent restaurant

> price for cinema tickets
180-200thb per person

hope this helps

regards
KK

KK - thanks for your thorough run down of expenses.  Is the health care cost for expats you quote an annual figure?  If monthly, the range you quote seems very high when compared with what other members have quoted. In fact the highest I read here was thb 6000 per month. Thanks

English teaching is better as a general rule In Philippines

Hello there,

I am from India working here since last 3 months staying alone. I am paying 10000 bhats rent near Lat Krabang.  Good decent one bedroom apartment with refrigerator, microwave pantry.  It seems the area of the apartment  is about 38 square meters.  Nice and decent.  Daily 7 times a day courtesy coach from apartment to Airport link station .  For water I pay less than hundred, power bill comes around 1500 baths both bedroom and hall has got air conditioning.

I eat most of the time outside mostly at the airport.

Nice people.

Regards

REZA

Hi Thierry,
I reed your article Cost of living in Thailand, it's  great that you send that! Exactly what I'm looking for..

I'm just not sure I really understand the health insurance price, you wrote 25'000 THB x 2 but is that for one month? It would be 50'000 THB for both which is about 1400 CHF (1 CHF is aproximatly 1 USD) It seems so expensive, even more thaen in Switzerland ! Is this really for one month? Thanks for letitng me know.

BR

Marcel

Hi Thierry,

When you write 25'000 THB for health insurance does that mean per month?

Thanks,

BR

Marcel

Sarcem wrote:

Hi Thierry,

When you write 25'000 THB for health insurance does that mean per month?

Thanks,

BR

Marcel

Hi Marcel, it is for full year the 50,000 THB for 1 adult and 1 kid.

You can find cheaper like you can find more expensive, it will depend on your age, and also if you look for local Thai insurance company which is the case for my wife and daughter or you look for international group targeting expat and in this case it will be more expensive.

Many insurance will not insure after 65 years old for 1st time but they will renew sometimes up to 75 years if you were with them before the 65 years old.

I have seen quote from local Thai insurance company around 250,000 THB per year for people 65-75 years old ( IPD + OPD ).

I request permanently quote as I have still not decided about my personal case what I will take, but my budget is max 30,000 THB per year, need to check the best coverage for that like cancer, etc... regarding accident ( called PA : Personal Accident ) there is specific insurance for that, car insurance cover this also, kid often got accident insurance via school

Thanks Thierry,

Thats really ok, I am 61 years old , I know  that the price is fair up to 65 and after it increases fast!

BR
Marcel

The health insurance is starting from about 100 euro a month per person. Depend of the age

I think this is already more realystic. Some people can living from 10000 baht a month.

shreza2003 wrote:

Hello there,

I am from India working here since last 3 months staying alone. I am paying 10000 bhats rent near Lat Krabang.  Good decent one bedroom apartment with refrigerator, microwave pantry.  It seems the area of the apartment  is about 38 square meters.  Nice and decent.  Daily 7 times a day courtesy coach from apartment to Airport link station .  For water I pay less than hundred, power bill comes around 1500 baths both bedroom and hall has got air conditioning.

I eat most of the time outside mostly at the airport.

Nice people.

Regards

REZA

hi there , i will be working in bangkok soon and like to find out more from you. as i will be station in bkk to support my customer and they are located in lat kra bang. how long does it take from lat kra bang to town ? isst accessible from there?

I am really surprised for your cleaning fee- 300 baht for 1 houer???? I pay this for 1 day- I living in chiang mai and I pay 8000 baht a month. for 6 days a week. In bangkok was more expensive. There i pay 12000 baht a month

HOUSE RENT OUTSIDE CHIANG MAI 350 SQM:    35,000 BAHT
CAR RENTAL :                                                           15,000 BAHT
GASOLINE                                                                   4,000 BAHT
ELECTRIC                                                                    8,000 BAHT
WATER                                                                            100 BAHT (partly groundwater)
MAID AND GARTNER                                                10,000 BAHT
FOOD (most by Makro, incl. Wine)                             15,000 BAHT
HEALTH INSURANCE (2)                                            8,000 BAHT
DINER OUTSIDE                                                          5,000 BAHT   

ALL TOGETHER EACH MOTNH                                  100,000 BAHT

Hi,

I like your cost of living numbers. Thanks.

About to plan journey from home. Work will be in Bangkok but we are country folk at heart (BC natives). This is a deep and interesting question but I can afford a place outside the city for kids/dogs and an apartment in the City. If you were me, where would you set up camp? We are divers, aquatically matured, luv outside, luv jungles, forests, beaches, lakes, oceans, etc. Have 5 kids 14-25 and two german shepherds. Educated and cultured. Experienced travelers.

I have to work in the City but will be travelling the country working for the Thai Government.

Be honest. I can take it.

Kris

Hi,

If you really have to stay Bangkok area for your job, I will recomend you to rent a home in NONTABURI Area.
There you have plenty choice of big houses for rent and plenty green areas. Much more cheaper as Bangkok. It is still bangkok, but not the same
It is upcountry in Bangkok if you understand what I mean.
Have a look on internet for house brookers in Nontaburi.

I hope you will find what you looking after.

Nicole

Below link ( updated in Aug 2015 ) will provide you some informations about cost of living in Bangkok, not about food !! but mainly general information like : rental cost of condo or serviced appartment per sqm, lease car, new car cost, international school ( cst breakdown ), membership to private club, golf, clubs, cinema tickets, health insurance...

http://www.boi.go.th/index.php?page=sel … in_bangkok

In hua hin there is a large apartment building with a pool right on the beach an a furnished bachelor rentt for 6000 a month..there is a "Big C" but need bike or taxi to get there.  Even cheaper if you move just alittle out of town..3000 +-

Most of the information in the link is false and dose not represent actual prices and costs. I live here so can verify the inaccuracy.

The cost of living is something you have to investigate When you get here. Because as you said you work in Bangkok but can live outside the area. The cost will be cheaper, but the time spent in traffic going to from work can take a toll on you! I live on the outside to Bangkok, and it takes my wife anywhere from an hr. to 1 1/2 hours to get to work due to traffic. How much you spend on food and everything else will depend on your style, and how much you eat it home. One suggestion is get a membership to macro.The best thing I can say is to come here. Talk to people around where you work  Hope this helps you little bit :/

Hello Marielouanne,
I know Hua Hin very well, I'm sure you'd like it better than Pattaya. There are many retired people living there in condo, some of which are situated very short walk from beach and other side of main road there is a shopping center. You can just get on a communal tuk-tuk for 10 baht and you are in the centre of Hua Hin in 5 minutes where there are many restaurants, shops and market. The Thai people there are very friendly and if you only speak English, no problem.
Also it is a safe place and only a few hours from Bangkok by minibus.

Hello TonyST,
I have lived in Thailand since 2002, traveled al over Asia but always came back to Thailand.
I lived in Pattaya for many years doing the single bloke thing all over again.
We now live about 19 km away in. Fishing village called Bang Saray, where you can buy fresh fish and seafood directly from the fishing boats.
I still work in Australia where the cost of living is so high $10.00 + for a beer in Perth I really don't know how people survive in Perth.
My cost of living here in Bang Saray mind you I own my home but all up $1,100.00 AUD per month.
That includes a full time Maid 9,000 Bt , Pool Cleaner 1,500 Bt,Electricity 2,700 Bt , Water 300 Bt, My daughter daycare 8.00 am to 4.30 pm 5 days per week 2,800 Bt.
We live a very healthy and good life style ,even though I still work in Australia I could never live the life there like I do here

How do you work in Australia and live in Thailand?

Yes 4 weeks on 4 weeks off equal time

you are air controller?

No i work in the offshore oil & Gas