Cost of living in Latvia – 2015

Hi all,

We invite you to talk about the cost of living in Latvia in 2015, with an updated price listing.

Don't forget to mention in which city of Latvia you are living in.

How much does it cost to live in Latvia?

> accommodation prices

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc.)

> food prices (your monthly budget)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

> education prices (if you need to pay)

> energy prices (oil, electricity)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

> price for a good menu in a traditional restaurant

> price for a coffee or a drink

> price for cinema tickets

Do not hesitate to add items to this list! ;)

Thank you in advance for your participation.

I came to reside in rural Latvia outside of Liepupe near the Baltic Coast owing to my wife being Latvian. Latvia is far cheaper to live within than modern day Britain. The only thing is we have no choice but to accept a cartel on electricity supply. Government owed and not as cheep as Sweden who can supply us at 10 cents per unit but blocked by the cartel in charge. The fact that no national health exists seeing a doctor for a medical check is costing more every year.
Low wages, for those who have to work, and no real help for poor families. It is no wonder that national youth are drifting away to better climes and conditions.The EU grants have ended up in Riga only whilst roads outside the city and leaving out the via Baltic highway, are sand and rock construction only. On the upside property is cheap and food not that expensive. We have not a great choice of ingredients if your fancy is a being a chef at home that is. No Chinese five spice here. No fat breasted chickens no beef suit. Otherwise if you search about you can find most other things. Running a car is cheaper but you must take into account you loose out of wear and tear quickly. Building or restoring houses costs the same here as at home in England with building materials imported. The fact that changing a drivers license over to Latvian involves a full medical and at only 65 lasts a mere three years against European and British rules of 70 being the mark for three year eye test only. Latvia is still climbing out slowly from their Russian owned image. EU rules on the back burner mostly ignored as knowledge of the way of new rule is lost on the population who know not their rights because no one tells them. The winters can be cruel and if like me your a keen gardener forget it.Cry about lost trees lost rises lost plants that in Latvian hot summers you planted up and your lost. Pricey,yes indeed. Other than that every things fine.Thanks for listening in.

Living in Riga distorts these prices slightly but most of the prices are reflective.

> accommodation prices
2 bed (3 room) can cost from 250 to 500 euro a month plus heating (kommunals)

Just been hiked to 2eur for a single journey

120eur for a family of 3

1.42eur to see a doctor

kindergarden is from 200 to 500 euro a month

Electricity is expensive.

Internet is <20eur for 100 mbits (best in Europe)
Mobile internet (4G) 20euro per month

20eur a head

2.50eur

11 eur for 2

phinp wrote:

Living in Riga distorts these prices slightly but most of the prices are reflective.

> accommodation prices
2 bed (3 room) can cost from 250 to 500 euro a month plus heating (kommunals)

Just been hiked to 2eur for a single journey

120eur for a family of 3

1.42eur to see a doctor

kindergarden is from 200 to 500 euro a month

Electricity is expensive.

Internet is <20eur for 100 mbits (best in Europe)
Mobile internet (4G) 20euro per month

20eur a head

2.50eur

11 eur for 2

I have read the last article on living cost in Latvia with interest. My internet and full package TV is  14.50 euro per month from Lattelecom  on cable. My living expenses for a month for two adults is around 214 euro and we seem to live very well.We do grow all our veg and fruit and keep hens  for eggs and garden decoration. Scratch the lawns,no ,we have well trained Pekin Bantams  as pets and although a smaller egg it is far more flavoursome than those  bought from shops. I do not run a car at present as all costs  have gone into building the house and gardens here. I will buy a car October  which will bring my cost of living expenses up somewhat. We  buy meat from  Maxima or from farm outlets in bulk when we can find a good deal on flavor  and cost. Many things are far cheaper here but many things are unavailable too. Riga visits have found some things wanted but the import price reflect.I found star annise  for my Chinese cooking nights. The price twice as much as we would have paid in Britain. Things like Self raising flour have never been heard of here. Chinese 5 spice and  Indian  curry powders ,or the ingredients to make it  cannot be found.True one can buy curry powders from market in Riga but so mild and missing that Indian British punch that to me it is only gravy.  A heavy weight chicken or a nice loin of marbled beef are only to dream of but I have found Chinese dumplings the Latvian breakfast. They call it pellmoni over here and that is not all the Latvian pours sour cream over  the dumplings instead of OK sauce. Many things to learn and it must be a curve of education on both sides of the divide.