Cost of living in Guinea Conakry – 2015

Hi all,

We invite you to talk about the cost of living in Guinea Conakry in 2015, with an updated price listing.

Don't forget to mention in which city of Guinea Conakry you are living in.

How much does it cost to live in Guinea Conakry?

> accommodation prices

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc.)

> food prices (your monthly budget)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

> education prices (if you need to pay)

> energy prices (oil, electricity)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

> price for a good menu in a traditional restaurant

> price for a coffee or a drink

> price for cinema tickets

Do not hesitate to add items to this list! ;)

Thank you in advance for your participation.

Rent: Too high.....$4000 per month
Food Prices: High
Restaurant - Poor Quality, high price, limited choice of good hotels
Hotels - Low Grade hotels, Expensive
Car Hire...Expensive

In Conkary / Camayenne

> accommodation prices

2,500 USD/month for a nice three bedrooms (empty) flat, with swimming pool and gym (not super though) in the basement.

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc.)

Are you kidding me, right?
You get a private driver. You can always find some trustworthy ones, through good hotels etc. You can pay them 30-60,000 GNF (like 4-8 EUR) / hour.

> food prices (your monthly budget)

There are some supermarkets where it is possible to find all the main items. It could be slightly more expensive than Germany, but cheaper than Paris :)
I am thinking to spend something like 50 EUR/week, but it all depends how many times one eats at home rather than going out...
As for lunch, it's either a restaurant (15/20 EUR lunch) or a sandwich. I like to get this sort of shawarma for 2/3 EUR. Sometimes they are very good, you just need not to watch while they are doing it... the hygienic conditions are of course just non existing. But they are tasty!

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)
No idea

> education prices (if you need to pay)
No idea

> energy prices (oil, electricity)
Gasoline costs like 1.2 EUR / litre. Electricity could be something like 50 USD/month for the flat but many times is just not there, so the best residences and most of the hotels have a diesel generator, and therefore you need to pay something like 100 USD/month for the gasoil.

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)
internet can be 20 EUR / 5 GB with Eti.
mobile telephone is not expensive. I think I am spending something like 8 EUR per month with Orange (but no internet). It is possible to get Canal+ but I don't know how much it costs.

> price for a good menu in a traditional restaurant
Not many good restaurants to be honest. You can easily spend 25 to 35 EUR/person if you want to eat (and drink) well. Not much choice (no real Italian restaurants, no real Lebanese ...).

> price for a coffee or a drink
a beer can cost up to 4 EUR (bottle). Wine is expensive. never tried a cocktail (yet).

> price for cinema tickets
I watch movies on streaming!! (is there a cinema btw??)