Cost of living in Ghana – 2015

Hi all,

We invite you to talk about the cost of living in Ghana in 2015, with an updated price listing.

Don't forget to mention in which city of Ghana you are living in.

How much does it cost to live in Ghana?

> accommodation prices

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc.)

> food prices (your monthly budget)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

> education prices (if you need to pay)

> energy prices (oil, electricity)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

> price for a good menu in a traditional restaurant

> price for a coffee or a drink

> price for cinema tickets

Do not hesitate to add items to this list! ;)

Thank you in advance for your participation.

Accommodation in an expat area in Accra $3000- $5000+ for a three-bedroomed apartment
Taxi fares around Accra 15-25 cedis a trip
Monthly budget for food for a family of 4 maybe $1000- 1500
Education depends on the many factors but could range from $10000 to $30000+
3.23 a litre for petrol. Electricity prices are 500 cedis + if air cons are used constantly. We manage on 300 for a 5 bedroomed house with 4 occupants most of the time
We recently got internet and it cost 445 cedis. 75 cedis for 5 GB of data
DSTV is 80+ dollars a month for premium
Mobile phones tend to be prepaid. I use around 30 cedis a month but I don't make many calls except a 45 min overseas call once a month
You will pay 30-50 cedis per person for a meal
Coffee is 8-10 cedis a cup

How expensive is it to set up off grid solar and dose anyone have a contact of any businesses that supply off grid solar,  the ghana businesses I have googled are grided and hugh prices in American dollars which is higher than Australian dollars. please message me if you have some good info. Thanks Bernie.

It is still expensive to set up solar. For example we bought  4 new batteries to replace the ones that were 4 years old and they cost 5400 cedis. For the inverter and the original batteries and to install the two panels we sent from Australia cost around 9000 cedis then and the cedi was virtually on par with the dollar. People are recommending Deng for solar systems but they don't quote prices

I am renting an a 3 bedroomhouse in  Expat-Local mixed residential area 800 Ghc,( ca 200 eur ) per month

On house staff (nanny, security, cleaner) I spend 1200Ghc (300 Eur ) per month

On Beaches and family funs: ca 300 Ghc per weekend making it 1200 Ghc (300eur) per month

dog 200ghc (50 eur) per month

Food,(at house)  roughly 40Ghc per day 1200 Ghc (300eur) per month

Work lunches 20ghc per day = 400 Ghc (100 eur) per month

Electricity ( 2 ac's working whnever there is light) 200 Ghc (50 eur per month)

House hold toileteries and etc - lets say roughly 1000Ghc (250 eur ) per month

Get around with taxis roughly 600Ghc per month (150eur) driving, house-office-house on wekends and 10k away cupermarket on weekends.

No idea how much my husband spends on petrol  lol :)

Again house rent is smth I dotn consider much as monthly expence. its rather a yearly headache to us :)

If you are just visiting ghana, And need someone to take you round the city, beaches and site seeing,
Or living in Ghana and need assistance on anything. **

Moderated by kenjee 8 years ago
Reason : For own security measures, please do not share email address on the forum, you could use our private message system for that.