Cost of living in Dominican Republic – 2015

yes gringos all lump together in sosua area jajajjajajaja safety in numbers. Actually that's where I tell all my American friends to go..Bob Is right.
I came here in1992 or 91 to PtoPta with a friend when I worked at Hess so I always liked it.

Peace and Quiet in the Dominican Republic? Whats that? Actually Puerto Plata is very quiet at night in places. I sleep fine at night. As long as I can keep my wife off the roof killing gatos making noise.

texasdonkey wrote:

Peace and Quiet in the Dominican Republic? Whats that? Actually Puerto Plata is very quiet at night in places. I sleep fine at night. As long as I can keep my wife off the roof killing gatos making noise.

Oh no!  don't kill them, just get them fixed and they'll stop the yowling.  LOL  (we have 2 - AND they're neutered - and they stay INside, haha.) 

I'm sure Puerto Plata has some much quieter vicinities.  But this one place appeared to be right in the middle of whatever night action might be happening, if you know what I'm saying.  But again, who knows? Looks can be deceiving.  I've been to Puerto Rico a few times with Jim to visit his aunts and cousins there.  Mayaguez mostly, but we've also been to San Juan, Fajardo, and Vieques and El Yunque, etc and drove across the island.   I just like some green and space around.  You know how we gringos can be with our "space", LOL.

You will find cars are very expensive here and plan on spending 30%-35% more here then in the states.  Used or new.  Also any used car you buy run through car fax first.  Most used car dealers turn the odometer back a significant amount (one we looked at 100,000 miles) also many if not most cars on the lot were bought at auction in the US for pennies on the dollar and have bad titles (junk, flood) or significant accidents.  They bring them here spend a few thousand dollars to make look like new and sell them at a ridiculous price (3-4x the dealers actual costs in the vehicle)

Labor for fixing cars is cheap parts can be expensive.  Most parts we need we have shipped in from the states then get them installed. Actually today I am having a door handle replaced on my jeep and had the part shipped in.

Bob K

Good recommendations, Bob!  I think we may just look at local ads for cars like the bulletin boards when we're here.  Car Fax isa great site.  And your door handle?  Not a break in, was it?   And gasoline..... We probably won't use too much either.  Unless we go exploring.    I was checking into car rentals the other day.  Juan Carlos emailed me back with a rate comparable to that of the states.  AnyoneAnyone have a recommendation on that front?  As far as driving ,,  if we can drive in San juan PR t, Im guessing we'll be okay in DR.

Internet  ads are  targeted at people just like you Pam.  It is hardly worth your time.  Come down, stay in a hotel or a short term rental and start hitting the streets, that is how you find the best deals at the best prices. AND utilize others when you can! 

There are great places out there, you need to be here to find em.

And yes anytime honey, the dance floors are here!!!!

Make sure you rental includes FULL insurance. Including casa de conductore.  If in a serious accident, injuries or lots of damage all parties go to jail till they can figure it out (meaning figure out how it was your fault and how much money it will cost you) Casa de conductore allows you to spent that time in a hotel (not a 3*) in Santiago instead of jail. 

There are lots of rental places available to you in the area.  OK motors and L und I rentals in Sosua are two we use for us as well as our clients.

As to the door handle no break in just a part broken after 18 years.

Bob K

Thanks, Planner!  Will do.   :top:

Thanks for the referrals Bob!  And the insurance info, too!! :proud

You are welcome.  Keep them coming :D

Bob K

Hello everyone. Where is a great and safe place to live in La Romana?  I have a budget of about US$ 700-800. Will i be able to get a furnished place with inversores and batteries for that amount?

Thank you.

Monjj

La Romana has a lot of different  places to consider, it all depends what you really want. I live on the west end of the city and quite like it.   Depending how big you want etc  you can likely find a nice furnished place in your budget range!   When  are you coming?  And for how long?

And welcome to the forums!!!!

Hello planner.  Appreciate the speedy reply. I plan to go there within the next two weeks or so and visit some friends in Sector Las Piedras. Looking for an apartment/house for rent as i may stay a bit longer and eventually relocate perhaps. I dont necessarily need to be near Sector Las Piedras.  Safety and security is my main concern in the place to rent so i was wondering which part of town would that be. Proximity to the beach and shopping would be nice too.  I will be coming in initially as a tourist though.  This would be my first time in the DR.

Thanks.

Monjj

Come for the visit and take a good look around. I will be happy to meet with you while you are here and give you a hand if I can.   Do you need a place to stay short term  while you are looking around?

Thank you so much. Will definitely find time to meet with you once we are there.

Also, i was thinking of staying in a hotel the first few weeks while searching for more long-term accomodations.

Looking forward to seeing the DR for the first time and making new friends as well.

Monjj

arriving in cabarete dr on 11 14 2015 leaving 4 5 2016 staying at gypsy ranch cabarete thinking about moving to the dr need help on curency and other matters for this stay how would i send us dollars to my sely in the dr  i want to look at places to rent if i decide to relocate in the dr can i buy a 3 wheeled bike to use there any info would be helpful when i leave the dr this time after staying 143 days how much is the exit fee thank you

Welcome to the forum.

Best way for you to get money here on a short term basis will be with an ATM

Three wheelers are not very common here but is not to say you won't come across one when you get here

Your over stay fee will be $4000RD (3-6 months over stay fee)

Bob K

Talking about money... where is the best place to exchange our $$$ when we get there next week.
Thank you.

Depends on where  you are.
Here in the Sosua/Cabarete area either Caribe tours offices or Janets supermarket, or wally exchange.  Westeren union is also ok but you may have lines and you need your passport with you as well.

Bob K

best rates usually found in the cambio stalls on the streets. check first the rates with Bobs' suggestions. normally can get 1/2 to 1&1/2 peso more from the stalls. No matter where you change, DO NOT change very large amounts. Eyes are everywhere.  Change enough for a couple of days expected expenditures. Banco Santa Cruz is usually quite close to the outside vendors rates. If you have to change a large amount, better to visit a couple of different places to do so.  As I said, eyes are everywhere!  Good luck & welcome.

Good advice from Gypsy.  Banco Sana Cruz does have the best bank rates around and very close to the street rate but again you need your passport with you to exchange.
Also NEVER exchange at the airport or any hotel.

Bob K

Thank you Bob for the info ! We are staying in Cabarete !

Muchas gracias Gypsy !

In Cabarete your best bet will be at Caribe tours across the street from Ocean Dream on the western side of town.

Bob K

Yes passport at the bank.  On the street all you need is the cash.

Well noted Bob ! Thanks !

You are welcome

Bob K

just for the fun i compare prices IKEA santo domingo and IKEA brooklin : result same item (lamp first price)
3 times more expensive here.

we've been wondering how much water costs... do all houses have cisterns? Tomas Cabrera- you're in our future town, how do we get water...and is there a cost?

In 8 years never saw or heard of a cistern. In the USVI they were mandatory for all houses built.  Mimimun size for a 1 bdr was 5,000 gallons. Each additional bdr another 5,000 gal. I'm sure there are some, but  don't personally know of them.

Cisterns will depend upon where you choose to live.  Some areas (particularly gated communities) tend to have there own underground water supplies.  In gated communities the cost of water is often included in your maintenance fees. Drinking water is predominantly bottled and readily available in most communities.  Living in the country is more self-sufficient as are some of the barrios and even the larger estate lots.  The house we are looking at has a well, pumping water into a 25000 liter cistern.  From there the water is pumped into a pressure tank and from there the water system is pressurized. The only service this property currently relies on is electricity but even that is slowly moving towards self-sufficiency.  This one is  a completely automated system.  Many homes I have seen use rain barrels and/or holding tanks. Some rely solely on rain water while others have water trucked in.  Some are gravity fed (located on the roof) or pressure fed from the ground.  Costs vary depending on size and how elaborate the system is.

Cisterns are very common in La Republica. Tinacos more so. Cisterns are more for people of means. The current drought has sparked a boom in cistern construction even in the Central Mountains. Hard times for the poor. Water is quite scarce at this time.

piratacojo That is correct most prices on imported stuff is 2-3x more here

Bob K

Yes most have a cistern (we have one) or a Tinaco on the roof.  "City or street" water is not always available and usually not potable.

Bob K

okay, thanks everyone...what I'm getting from this is that if the house has a cistern, then you are collecting and using your own water...maintaining your septic system, etc. i grew up in rural northern michigan. we had a well and a septic system, and had to take our trash weekly to the dump and pay to habe them deal with it.  we had mostly dirt roads and had the oldest still functioning telefone company where a lady still manually connected our lines...(i'm only 44... so this has nothing to do with how long ago it was...) :-)

it was only after moving to chicago, germany, detroit suburbs did i realize and appreciate the independence of living in the country...back then there was no internet...and that's the only modern luxury i will really need because this move would tKe me far away from my kids and family...and i would want to stay connected...

one thing we hope to do in a few years is buy a 10 seater twin engine and have a side business flying people to florida or PR or even other airports within DR ...sounds like there could be a market for that...as long as it pays for fees and maintenance, we wouldn't want to do it daily, but weekly?...

If there's a good market then, my husband might be setting up shop down there even before our planned 'retirement'

Cisternas and or tinacos are common. They are either fed from the water system or your own well. Yes there is a fee but it is really inexpensive. In Santo Domingo I paid less then US 5 a month.

I still have not received a bill in La Romana!

As for the plane - lots and lots of rules and restrictions.

I agree plane is a pile of rules, regs, paperwork and $$$$$$$$$$

Bob K

We had read that general aviation was getting less restrictive...and that owning a plane wasn't complicated...hmm...are there any private pilots who have a plane on these boards??  I'd like to hear from them too...

We are planning to fly ourselves down over christmas for two weeks...if all goes well and we do indeed get the house...

We need to learn more...obviously...first things first...get the house!

Thanks, guys...again...you are both a wealth of knowledge...and it's so cool that you do this...

Happy to help when we can!