Cost of living in Dominican Republic – 2015

Haggling will be new to us, as they don't really do that here.  We are used to Navy showers, turning electric things off,l etc etc etc.

The more I read, the more I realize how our lives have changed since living on an island and many things are the same between yours and mine!

Do you recycle????

And it becomes "normal"  On the rare occasions I go back to the US (30 some odd days over the last 10 years) I feel like a fish out of water

Bob K

We go back to the states on occasion and get horrified looks when we see friends and try to do the cheek kiss thing, which is routine for us now.  And saying good day to everyone?  The stares we get!

For me it is the driving.  My wife is constantly smacking me and reminding me that you can't drive like  you are in the DR when we are in the states.

Funny look on the cops face when he stopped me for "speeding" and when I gave him my DR driver's license he got a funny look on his face and told me to  enjoy my vacation and keep the speed down while shaking his head.

Bob K

Hey, I live here with 30,000 pesos/ month and I'm fine.
I live in Las Terrenas in rented apartment 200 meters to the beach (11,000 pesos).
I speak Spanish
I use my own motorbike to move around.
Generally speaking, 30,000 pesos is a good living in one place, IF you speak spanish and know DR.
If you want to travel and change places every few days, add around 5,000-10,000 pesos to that budget.
If you expect US/ EU standards very often you will pay for them more than in EU or US. Things like: imported food or Air conditioning.
need more info on cheap living in Dominican Republic ? visit my guide [link moderated]

I look forward to reading your guide when approved.

Bob K

I was a Peace Corps Volunteer here in the early to mid '80's and always planned to retire here. I am a Whitewater Kayaker, so live near Jarabacoa in a small Campo on the banks of the Rio Yaque del Norte. I paddle about 3-4 days a week. I have a 3 bedroom, new Cabina with fabulous ceramic tile floors and Carport for my Landcruiser. My home costs $8,500 RD per month. (about $190) Water is $50 pesos a month. Currently paying a set fee for Electric, about $500 pesos per month. We do not yet have meters. I have a 10 gallon Electric Water heater, and a 500 gallon tinaco. I live like a king here on about $2,500 Dollars a month. Travel, housekeepers, Laundry Lady, Car Wash dude, groceries, tons O fresh fruit and veggies. I am retired from a Federal Nutrition Program, and have Lifetime Health, Dental and Vision Insurance. Do not let the people living on the north coast or places like Bavaro or Punta Cana feed you fulla mierda ! If you can speak Dominican, you can live in the Campo and enjoy the greatest people on Earth, Dominican Campesinos !  Not like the people in big cities or resort communities... These people are 100 % love and kindness !

Kayakcono welcome to the forum.  It sounds like you are doing it right  and living the dream.

Bob K

I saw mention of Supermercado Janet in Cabarete, that and surfing at Playa Encuentro are the only real reasons I get to Cabarete. That and eating at Ali's Surf Camp. Possibly the best food in Cabarete. The Churrasco is huge and great ! Not real big on the Tourist scence, but the tourists that frequent places like Las Terenas and Cabarete are miles ahead of the All Inclusive Resort crapola. Sosua, what can you say .... It was a great place 25-30 years ago. I guess outside the city proper it is still fine. Just a plug for the best Veterinarian on the Island, Dr. Bob, just outside Sosua is Da Man ! Great guy and excellent Vet. I am like a kid with a new toy, just got hooked up with a private internet service, $3,000 RD a month, butt it is well worth it ! Claro and Orange nor Tricom could help this far out of Jarabacoa.   Freddie

I have been back and forth from here for over 30 years, so driving is a problem in the US .... Not that I like Dominican Style driving, you just think people are way to pokey in the States !

I agree on Ali's surf camp. One of our favorite places.

Bob K

Hello,

This is Rookie and I am very new to the process of relocating. Is there website that I can view to assist me in rentals or purchases? I am confused which island I would like to live,..any suggestions.

Rookie

Qbert  welcome and I would suggest visiting for an extended period of time and explore the country and it is a big country to see if it "fits" for you

Bob K

Is Ali's surf camp on playa Encuentro or in ProCab? Just wondering....Thanks :cool:

Hello! I'm not sure if i read correctly but what city do you live in? Also, what are the job opportunities? I am a teacher in the US but I'm really looking for something more low key. Additionally, I am looking for a place near a beach where I can work on my surfing.

This is the first time I reach out and seriously inquire on this adventure so any ideas or suggestion from anyone is greatly appreciated!

Welcome to the forum.  The north coast in around Cabarete is where the sailing surfing etc  is!!!  Darn auto correct.....

Playa Encuentro Cabarete is your best bet for surfing to be exact :cool: get to know the local surfers, since from my experience around the world, surfers are quite territorial and sometimes do not take too well to newcommers surfing their spot without the proper introductions. Lots of surf schools at Encuentro and great people, but get to know the scene before showing up :top:

Let me add my welcome.  You need to come for a visit to the north coast and check out the area.  The DR is not for everyone and living here is way different than visiting as a tourist.

How is your Spanish??  There are lots of private schools in the area that may be available to you for a job.

Again welcome and take a trip to the area

Bob K

Concerning Ali's Surf Camp, it is away from the beach near Janets Supermarket. You have to pass through a monitored gate. They do have a Surf Shack and facility on Playa Encuentro, but the Rooms, pool and restaurant are located there near Janets, R hand turn just before Janets as you head East out of Cabarete. Not sure where "procab" is, but that is possibly the barrio name. Excellent Food at reasonable prices.

Ali's surf camp is in Pro Cab.  That whole area after the so called security gate is pro Cab.

Bob K

Thanx Bob ! I have prolly stayed there 20 times over the years, and know how Dominicans like to give neighborhoods names (well, actually all humans do !) I had heard the term procab, but was not certain.

Thanks Bob and Kayakcono.....is that the place that has the very rustic bungalows type accomodations? I have been there when I was searching for places to stay in Cabarete, but never ate at the restaurant. I will chevk out their food next time i'm out in Cab. Thanks :cool:

Restaurant is very good and yes pretty rustic rooms.

Bob K

Gypsy, to explain a little bit about differentials in air fares that, distance-wise, appear to make NO sense:  Jim has been working for US Airways / American (now, they just merged) for several decades. Airports charge airlines certain fees for landing there.  In the case of the Pittsburgh International Airport (where Jim is about to retire from soon!) They decided around 12-13 years ago to raise their landing fees so bloody high that USairways opted out of using them as a hub.  Now they use Charlotte,NC and Philly (their rates are far lower).  But these fees affect prices for flights quite a bit.  I'd be interested to know what the fees are in POP compared to Punta or SDQ.......

Don't know the actual fees but much cheaper to fly to Santiago (especially for those of us on the north coast) or Santo Domingo.  More competition at these airports.  Here on the north coast AA is the only way to get to Florida. United only flys to Newark and Jet Blue to JFK.  That is it!

Bob K

other airlines fly into POP & are much cheaper.  But from the southeast Amrican is the inly ones allowed to land there.  It is cheaper to fly from N.Y. to POP than from Miami.  A friend works for British Airwys at the POP airport. He says it costs about the same to fly from England to POP as American charges to fly from Miami.  I doubt that landing fees has anything to do with it.   1/3 the cost to fly to SD.   I wanted to say there is something fishy in Denmark , but I'm not supposed to, so I won't & didn't say it.

No it POP American Airlines has you by the short hairs.  And as long as the planes are full, and they are, they will continue to tug on those hairs

Bob K

I agree with you Bob and Gypsy!  I think we'll probably use Santiago in the future.  I saw a youtube vid a while back - a good one - where you could see a  lovely new highway from Santiago to POP.  It was beautifully scenic! 

This particular thread is awesome, especially those of you who mentioned how much you all pay for your monthly expenses.  It's making it possible for me to calculate our own costs for living there.   

I'm a planner, too.  Lol but there are certain creature comforts I'd like to still have... Which may make it more difficult to find a reasonable place to live.  And we'd be bringing our two indoor kitties with us, and we smoke.  Outside, of course, but..... And the kitties are fixed so no problem there...  Dunno.  We'd need a really reasonably priced place, like 5-600 USD.  I just spent over 12 solid hours looking at rentals.  Found some nice places but the cats and smoking appeared to be a big problem...

That new beautiful road from Santiago to Puerto Plata does not exist but has been promised for years.  Not holding my breath. It is a 1-1.5 hour ride depending on where in the area you are going.

As to rentals there are lots around do check them out carefully. If you up your budget by $200 you will find a lot more available that may suit your needs

BObK

What I was seeing was some kind of newer toll road that winds down through the hills..... dunno, maybe that wasn't what I thought it was.  And yes, I was looking around and think we could probably get around 7-800 USD with the electric included.  In fact I did hear back from one for $400 just this morning!  Amazingly.

after a while you can find just the place you want.  local people & ex-pats, bulletin boards etc.  On line adds are commission oriented so will cost more.  Being a gringo also costs.  Good to have a native friend do the actual negotiating as if it were for them.  You'll get the best deal that way.  A well connected long term ex-pat can do the same.  AND, never let anyone know your true financial situation, NO ONE!!    Yeah, summer kitchens rock!

yeah, Gitano mi amigo, and I wish I could just speak Spanish to them, because it usually gets me further.  LOL.  But these sites I'm forced to use already know I'm a gringa before I say a word,  because of the site itself.  I think maybe I'll start searching in Spanish....and just see "que pasa", no?

I fly every month back and forth to USA.I  always fly to Santiago. Gave up on POP. to much theft at baggage. costs about 150.00 more to fly to POP then Santiago. takes us about 45 minutes to one hour drive. but that is Dominican driving,jajaja  I drive and its longer. POP is a company owned airport and they charge more.,My wifes nephew works there so I never have to wait in line but I  still fly to save the150.00..

in ptopta we have a rented 3 bedroom apartment 2.5 baths,hot water, no ac for 330.00 a month. it would be 1200.00 in usa.,we have a home but daughter lives there

Wow $330 a month is great!  I'm still struggling to find one under $600.  I found a rather dumpy place in Puerto Plata in the centro for $198 though!  It seems like electric can be as low as $44 or as high as $100 or more, if you're not careful.  I don't know why Planner's bill is so low $55/mo and run the air at night... guess the kwh rate in La Romana is a bit lower? 

No one's talked about gasoline expenses yet, though!  Any thoughts/input?  I'm desperately trying to put together a monthly budget, LOL.  And your thoughts really help people!

we can find you a nice safe apartment. my family knows very many people in town..they have lived here for hundreds of years. 1 2 3 bedrooms??.. I can pm with info. when we find a good one. we know of several now..

gas is expensive and on top of that they do not always set the pump back to zero so you have to watch. This country is full of ladrones

by the way. I am a big OSU fan. I am was born in Columbus raised 20 miles out in country Madison County

regular gasoline RD$204.50 per gallon last week. everything is close In town so we do not use too much.

Impressive!! You know the Spanish word for Gypsy.  The best way to find a place is when you are here & can interact with the people.  No agents, no B.S..  rent a place short term while making contacts.  The best deals that way.  Lived for 30 years in the islands.  The DR is the best.  Sit & think of what you really must have to be content & smiling.  It will prove to be less than you think.   I look at it this way:  a roof that doesn't leak, good kitchen & bathroom, good breezes, acess to reliable transportation, ( for me a motorcycle ) and most of all a bunch of good friends.  Cable, Wi-Fi & an inverter or genny for power.  Solar is great too.  I don't need a big house with rooms that I hardly use or things that I don't use at least once a month.  Less than that, borrow it!   I've lived on boats & that is when I learned what I truly required to be content.  You don't have to be austere, but live comfortably & well.  Feel free to PM me at any time you wish.  Buena suerte siempre amiga.    My Spanish  spelling sucks too!

Thanks, Tex!   My son in law just got his PhD from OSU there this month, now theyre allgoing to Germany....wow, small world....I lived in Houston in 2008 teaching high school Spanish.... 

Just to be sure....then gas is $204RD....about 4.50/ gal USD  not tooooo bad.

Hey Gitano, not too bad in the español spelling dept!

Yes, it's surprising what a person doesn't need to be happy.  I've been lightening the load quite a bit these last few years.  Amigos son importantes.  That.s true!  A few creature comforts, and really, what else is there but to find a way to contribute to others?  And just enjoy living.  Some day I'm gonna catch on up with Planner and hit a few dance floors, haha!  I'm a Cuatro Cuarenta fan, myself.  Been dancing around to San Pedro de Macoris.  Happy song, that!

Gas costs could add up quickly.  As to electric it really depends on your consumption.  but you should be able to get by on $50 a month with out too much difficulty.

Add into you costs internet, phone, cable (some of these may be included in your rent depending on where you are renting), transport, insurance (medical and car if you are going to purchase a car), entertainment, eating out and so on.

From reading on your wants, and lifestyle living in down town Puerto Plata will not make you happy.  You will be much better off in Sosua/Cabarete area.

Bob K

:o    Hahaha! - that was my face as I looked at the ad for the Puerto Plata centro place.   Yeeeeahhh.  I need peace and reasonable quiet where I live.

I'm just hoping we can find a decent cheap on gas vehicle.  Like maybe a Honda.  That's what Jim wants.  Because he had one before and he knows how to work on them.  I think it was Bill and Elaine who mentioned several car makes, one of which was a Daewoo.  they're like the "P.O.S. car" (Adam Sandler) version of Hyundai.  Koreans think they're total junk (per my son's wife).  But.... my other son received a used Leganza as a gift for a moving day favor, and ended up keeping that thing running for a very long time!  Even replaced the head gasket. (Dios lo bendiga, jaja).