Cost of living in Cuba – 2015

Hi all,

We invite you to talk about the cost of living in Cuba in 2015, with an updated price listing.

Don't forget to mention in which city of Cuba you are living in.

How much does it cost to live in Cuba?

> accommodation prices

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc.)

> food prices (your monthly budget)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

> education prices (if you need to pay)

> energy prices (oil, electricity)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

> price for a good menu in a traditional restaurant

> price for a coffee or a drink

> price for cinema tickets

Do not hesitate to add items to this list! ;)

Thank you in advance for your participation.

15-35 per night accommodation-Matanza province

Taxi for tourist 1 usd per mile.   Buses are reasonable but by no means cheap compared to Mexico and Ecuador

food - 200 per month with some of that for paladares

Cuban health insurance avail at most airports there = 2 per day

Education - some courses available for tourist in Havana-mostly language courses

energy is really cheap for casa owners ..under 5 usd a month with air cond.

wifi internet is 4-5 usd per hour and is getting cheaper every time I go with more locations

mobile local calls are .30 per min with local sim card and cheaper after 11 pm

coffee under 1.00 and beer is 1usd for national brand in most places

movie ticket was 3usd in Havana

baseball game 2 cuc

most night clubs are 5-10 usd to get in with 10 being common in tourist places like varadero and havana

I quoted usd because cuc is based on this..

One can shave cost by using cuban national money for some food and entertainment but Cuba is going to one currency soon so may not be a factor in future ..

Cuba is not cheap by any means for tourists /expats .. I did Ecuador for 1/2 of Cuba and had 10 times better food and accommodation plus free wifi everywhere... if I think of anything else i add later... PS if you can pass for a Cuban you can ride the local buses and Cuban only taxis for a fraction of the cost.

Hi thanks for the prices - I'm considering moving to Cuba and wondering about rental prices for long-term accommodations. Is there any websites I can use to find housing?

Thanks

You can try cubisima.com/ and also revolico.com/ which is the cuban version of graiglist.. 

I have one friend now who is looking to rent her casa out for 8000.00 usd for 2 year term and it in Varadero area and all legal.. one bedroom/hot water tanks

Moving wow  congrats if you can pull it off because its very expensive there compared to say Ecuador etc..

The reason rent is so high in Cuba for a legal casa is they have to pay the state 200-300 per month tax regardless if they have clients or not so its tough to get anything long term for under 700 usd.... 

The best price is to marry a cuban who owns her own casa and pay for the groceries jaja     good luck

Thanks - I'm exploring my options at this point. I've been in Mexico for 7 years and looking elsewhere.

How is Ecuador? Have you been there? I don't want to get off-topic on this forum thread - you're welcome to message me with any info.

Cheers - it's now Margarita time ;)