American/French couple moving to Malta?

Hi,

My fiance and I are considering where to live in the EU after our marriage. For various reasons, Gozo seems like one attractive possibility. We have savings and I have some self-employment as a teacher/editor. However, we would ideally like to work there or start a business.

My question is about my legal right to stay there. We plan to go to France and get married, which might take up to 2 months to sort out. At that point, I know that if I wanted to live in France I'd have to go back to the US to get a long-stay visa. However, my understanding is that with EU laws, the wife of an EU national can move freely with him. So, I'm confused about whether my husband and I can just come to Malta with the marriage license. I wouldn't want to overstay my "3 months in Schengen out of any 6 month period." But maybe with the marriage, this rule immediately disappears and I can stay with him in the EU without a visa (but ironically not in France without a long-stay visa)?

Once in Malta, I understand we'd have to get some kind of work permit and/or temporary residence permit. But I'm confused about exactly how to get it and what documents or financial support would be necessary. As I said, we are not destitute and do have some self-employment options, but at the same time, we're not retired and definitely would like the right to work in Malta as well. As the wife of a French man, would I automatically have the right to stay there as long as it takes to figure it out? If there are important time limitations I need to be aware of, I better plan accordingly.

Thanks!

Married to EU member, should be no problem. You share the same rights.
See this: http://ec.europa.eu/social/main.jsp?catId=460

Also read this: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=370643

All of the points are applicable.

Thanks for that!

As a follow-up question regarding health care, I'm curious about what I'd be eligible for. We're intending to start a family, so I'd need to figure out pre-natal and birthing care and costs. As an American, I'm not carrying insurance b/c it's too expensive there and I'm not currently living in the US. How would I go about being eligible for the health care system in Malta: by buying in, paying taxes, working there? If I had to pay out of pocket, how expensive is it for pregnancy-related care? This is a concern.

If either you or your husband are working you will both be covered. Otherwise take out insurance for health care.

Hi Hope,

Private health insurance does not cover you for maternity costs or , at the most, a very limited payment only if you hace been insured for at least 10 months.

Pregnancy related costs will probably be in the region of a few thousand Euro's if paid for privately, a real bargain compared to the US.

If you or your ( future) husband work in Malta and pay NI contributions you will be covered for treatment by the national health system.

Working as a teacher in Malta will prove to be nearly impossible. One problem are the different educations systems and college certificates. Malta's system is based on the UK system - A-levels and O-levels for example.

Cheers
Ricky