Legal advice...

I have a friend here in Vietnam who was recently knocked off her bike by a tourist from Saigon.
On the night she was hit, the driver of the car took her to hospital. She did not contact the police that night, partly from his request and partly from her own mistake.
The driver of the car admitted fault for the accident (rear ended her bike at traffic lights) and promised to pay for all cost of repairs, hospital bills, etc, but as would be expected in this situation, he did not pay. When she contacted the police the next day, he told them the car had been transported back to Saigon, which the police simply accepted and did not pursue. He then left for Saigon himself the next day and told the police he was leaving the country on business, which again the police just accepted. He has not made any further attempt to contact the victim or pay for any damages.

My question: Is there any other legal course of action for this girl if the police have been 'paid off' ?
Is there anyone else she can talk to for some justice or reparations?
Any advice would be appreciated.

There are but what were her losses?

Did she get a plate number? Did the police get a plate number? If so - they will be able to give you the car's insurer and owner. Unfortunately, VNese are the best 'hit and run' drivers in the world. I never give an inch - I will block / disable the other vehicle if necessary. I carry a lock and chain to lock a wheel for this purpose.

Often, unless CGST attend, accidents never happened. That's why I wear a POV camera.

Never 'do a deal' - get the cops there - a long wait usually. Richest pays, usually, and that is the car driver.

Repairs to the bike and her are around 8 million..

Yes, the cops talked to the guy twice. At this time, he did not deny guilt. They know his name, address, phone number and his business in Saigon. They have all the information on him, but nothing happens. That is why I asked if there is any other path she can take - any other legal direction she can follow - 'cause it seems like the police have probably taken a bribe...

Get the information, first, then start chasing the insurers.

Also, write to the district headquarters of whatever police were involved - in Vietnamese (if you use Google translate use short sentences) - and NOT the local office.

But getting the info first is key, in case it gets 'lost'.