Newb trying to teach abroad

Hey everyone!  My name is Addison Yanito and I'm a native to the United States.  I am currently trying to broaden my horizons in teaching by venturing to Ho Chi Minh City.  I have a degree in mathematics with certification to teach secondary level math.  I also am certified in TESOL (TEFL) through an online course.  My CV is all updated and ready to be sent out and I'm having my cover letter proofread as we speak.  I was wondering if anybody has any pointers or people I can reach out so I can have a better chance at finding a position before I head out.  I am available to start near the end of March.  Hope to hear back from some of you!  ThankS! :D

Go for the universities - they only accept teachers with degrees.

TESOL/TEFL only are considered as instructors and rarely get jobs with uni's. A friend, with a math's degree, landed a job teaching IT at a HCMC university. Been doing 2-3 years now. Decent pay, too.

Would you be able to send me your friend's contact information?  Are you telling me with a BA, teacher's certification, TESOL certification, and five years of teaching experience that I don't have much of a chance except for a university in HCMC?  At any cost, I'd love to get in contact with your friend and see if he/she has any leads or hints to getting accepted into a teaching program.  Thank you for your response.  It helps out immensely.

It's a good thing you have a penchant for mathematics, because you could earn $25-$40 per hour.  State certified teachers are in demand.  Add to that (pun intended) the fact that you have experience, plus( somebody stop me) it's in mathematics  = :top:

If, however, you are the "B" word ( :sleep ), you may be doomed.

Check out Craigslist, or Google "math teacher Vietnam".  See how easy it is? 

https://www.tes.co.uk/jobs/vacancy/teac … am-281657/

Your American-ish-ness may bar you from employment with that outfit and most other Brit schools.  Most would rather hire a dog that can mimic words like "ma-ma", than hire an American.

You're probably not going to be able to land a position without being on the ground, though schools like the one in the previous ad do hire from abroad.  With most schools, if you did get a response, they could disregard it completely once you got here.  Your time, money, etc. mean nothing to most of the people in charge here, so you're going to have to assume some risks.

Thank you so much!  I applied to the site you left me and am hoping to hear back from them.  I'm checking out craiglist right now and I never thought I would be looking at Vietnam teaching jobs through something I buy random furniture off of.  Thanks again!  :top:

ayanito wrote:

Would you be able to send me your friend's contact information?  Are you telling me with a BA, teacher's certification, TESOL certification, and five years of teaching experience that I don't have much of a chance except for a university in HCMC?

Get a uni position is considered a 'plumb' position with benefits, visa support (a uni request is rarely declined), long-term employment.

In the other hand teaching 'English' is the new 'dish-washing job', that most can do to make a few Dong here and there to offset their living costs. Few language schools offer long-term employment and the 'benefits' are minimal at best.

So go tout your degree at a uni and get a reasonable, decent, job. Language schools would be your fall-back employment. After you get here have your CV translated professionally (about USD$5/page) and increase your employment potential.

My friend visits this web site on occasion, I will flag it for him to respond or not.

ayanito wrote:

Are you telling me with a BA, teacher's certification, TESOL certification, and five years of teaching experience that I don't have much of a chance except for a university in HCMC?

Have you found a job here in university? Let me explain something for you:

It's not easy to get a job in government/public university here (become a lecturer) if you don't have a Master degree at least! Some excellent students can get a job after graduating at their university, but they still are assistant teaching until they get master degree.

It's more difficult in Hanoi. Many people there have Master degree, but most of them never can get a teaching job in any university, even they studied abroad.

But it's easier for you if you get a teaching job in private/language university or language center. And the salary is more higher than.