How would this work?

Hi All,
I'm new to the forum and am considering a move to Bournemouth, UK with my Company, I have a Family (Wife and 14month old Daughter). My wife is currently an "Licensed Extended Functions Dental Assistant" in Pennsylvania (placing fillings and doing restorative work, besides assisting the dentist), if we were to move she would want to work part time 20-25hrs a week. What would she have to do? Would her license be recognized etc.? Would it be fairly easy to find a job in the Bournemouth area in the dental industry? Any and all advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

I may be wrong here, working on personal experience only, but I have never seen a dental assistant perform any function other than prep materials for the dentist - never get into a mouth.
Not been to the UK for over 7 years, but I don't suppose that'll have chanced.

I also know the UK's dental services are a mess.
Assuming your lady wife is legally allowed to work in the UK, I'd get the phone and call a few dentist, asking about potential work.

Skype with a UK landline package would keep that cheap, and you'll get numbers here.

http://www.yell.com/ucs/UcsSearchAction … plete=kwlo

Thanks Fred- I'm going to do just that! I guess if the dental field is a no go she would want something part-time mornings preferably 8-8:30 to 12-12:30ish any ideas to keep her busy and working in a somewhat decent job? ALSO TAXES I haven't spoken to the company expat people yet but any idea how that works? I will have to pay us and uk tax?!

I understand all US citizens have to pay taxes to the US over a given amount, and you'll have to pay UK taxes.

If she's legal to work, she'll be issued with a temporary national insurance number, paying UK taxes starting with her first salary.
UK tax is only paid after a given amount earned, and a part time worker may not get that much.
I'm way too far out of date to know the numbers.

Great thanks Fred - looking into the 7 year domicile exclusion - any ideas on a decent part time gig for the morning hours?

Ah yes! FATCA and FBAR rear their ugly heads once again.

As an American citizen you are taxed based on citizenship, not on residency. So that means you must file a 1040 return with the IRS regardless of where you live in the world. You must also report ALL your worldwide income too. In many cases that may mean the possibility of double taxation, where no bilateral Tax Treaty exists between the USA and country of residence.

FATCA (Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act) requires all foreign banks that also operate in the USA to disclose (directly to the IRS) account holder information on all of their clients who are either US citizens or deemed citizens for tax purposes. In many cases now many banks simply refuse to open accounts for US citizens.

Just another benefit of being able to say, "I'm an American." Just don't say it too loud anymore since Uncle Sam and the IRS both have very long arms.

Cheers,
James      Expat-blog Experts Team