Renting a car for 3 weeks

Is there a recommended service or process to renting a car for 3 weeks?
I have a UK drivers license and I'm not sure what else I need.

Are there any common pitfalls in the card rental process?

A reputable company recommendation would be amazing.

I have sent you a private message!

It is very simple.
Google car hire on Malta and you will see so many companies including the well known large and reputable companies.
You can book in advance and have it meet you at the airport or attend one of the car hire stands at the airport and take it from there.
Avoid the very cheap looking ones and insure against excess.
Just bring your credit card along with your licence and your needs will be met  ;)

Jackjpc wrote:

@ Jackjpc > We usually encourage members to share information right here on the forum please, so that others can also beneficiate from them.

Thanks

Priscilla  :cheers:

Priscilla wrote:
Jackjpc wrote:

@ Jackjpc > We usually encourage members to share information right here on the forum please, so that others can also beneficiate from them.

Thanks

Priscilla  :cheers:

Hello Priscilla,

Just for the records: isn't that ("share information right here on the forum") classed as commercial activity and cause for removal of the post? If I have a car hire firm or my cousin has one, can I write on contact details here? Isn't that seen as advertising?

Thanks for clarification
Russell

I agree, sometimes it is advertising, hence the PM. It's why I PM when recommending a particular agent or similar service.

redmik wrote:

I agree, sometimes it is advertising, hence the PM. It's why I PM when recommending a particular agent or similar service.

It's nice that someone else sees the point and agrees. I found her comment strange and inconsistent with what I've seen here: post removed and a comment to say "No free advertising" or something to that effect.

Many websites don't allow passing contacts publicly for at least these reasons:
1. Revenue: they want to received income from commercial activities
2. Reputation: protecting their public image as too much plugging looses them some audience
3. Legal: Particularly (in the USA) e.g. if this post resulted in a car hire that tragically cut short due to a tragic RTA, there is a good chance their name will appear on court papers and they would have to defend themselves. I know this is sometimes applied too religiously.
Priscilla was still online when I posted but she didn't reply (probably didn't see it) and we may never know the rational behind her somewhat unusual assertion.

The original post is too wide open in my opinion and might invite dubious replies from folks with ulterior motives. I hope they dig deeper before parting with a sizeable sum of money. We know all too well prices vary enormously in Malta.

I think any connection and interest should be disclosed along with any recommendations. I even say lack of the same could be made known (and sometimes is). If I have a car hire business, it's inappropriate to just recommend it as "a good place to go" - good for whom?? myself of course!

I once asked for something here and got a recommendation, after some arms twisting (questioning privately what was the basis of his recommendation) he eventually admitted he was promoting a friend's business venture to help him out. He sent via PM, but didn't disclose his interest by himself and I now don't have confidence in this person's posts. He didn't bring the site to disrepute but himself...

@New Horizonz,

Yes, free advertisement is not allowed on the forum and if you want to recommend any business you can also recommend it in the business directory.

Of course our moderators will not encourage free advertisement on the forum. It doesn't make sense.
What Priscilla means is > if a member have any useful information [but of course not to promote his/her own company] about the topic which is procedure to rent a car or if you have any experience about this topic, you can then share it here on the forum.

Another thing, if you have a question or suggestion concerning our terms and conditions or team, can you please use the contact form to avoid being off topic on a thread?

thank you very much,
Christine
Expat.com team

Hi there!

I sent a private message of a company I have used in the past!

No affiliation to them other than being a customer!

Franks rentals for me being under 25 are superb! Some international companies charge extortionate prices for under 25yo

Regards

My mistake to send that privately but I have no hidden agenda :) with a car rental company

Sorry

I don't know a reputal rent company, but there is fine app for your phone that shows the best car rental companies. Here it is if you're interested . I used this app when was on vacation in Spain.Worked pretty good.

Active: I have searched over 15 car hire companies over 3 months and these guys are good. You can find them In St Julians or at the airport. The best place is to go on Face Book and type in Malta Car Hire and their page comes up.
I have used two companies before and they are untrustworthy and they lie.

Can anyone post some prices for car rental (weekly) for a mid size car?  I'm wondering what I might expect to pay for that.

You can rent cars for about 14-25 euros a day depend on where from

Not advertising, just sharing experience. For two yearsI repeatedly rented cars locally with Budget and Avis and they never cheated me. The state of the cars varies, but if you have a problem, you phone them, take the car back and they'll exchange it. Formerly I also rented from John's Garage .
Many of my expat neighbours (in the south) use Pitty's rent a car.
Rental fares can be cheaper online than through talking directly with the company.
Be careful to check the FRANCHISE first, unless you take extra insurance (which, for 3 weeks, gets costly).It tends to be very high and not every company applies the same franchise.
I am also told that GPS do not work well in Malta so they are not worth the extra expense on a rental car.

Thanks Rob. Now I just have to learn how to drive on the wrong side of the road :whistle: