Question for the weekend mechanics about my motorbike

Hi all,

I have a 2010 Yamaha Nouvo that started running rough about a month ago. When I drive at a steady speed (say 30 or 40 kmh) I can feel that the engine is missing and the bike does not drive smooth. It also misses quite a bit when I accelerate from a dead stop. Once or twice it has died while waiting at a stop light.  When I accelerate, the bike hesitates and then responds normally.

I've taken it to two different Yamaha dealers over the past few weeks and they both did a complete "tune up" (cleaned the carb, checked the fuel filter, air filter, etc). It has good spark (I watched the guy test it). If it has fuel, spark and air I should have good combustion, so I'm at a loss why it is still not running well.

Over the past few months I have also noticed that the muffler is much louder than it used to be. The dealer looked at it yesterday and said it was fine (no holes) and that all motorbikes get louder over time. I wondered if there is a compression issue (that would also make the exhaust sound different) but if so, it seems that there would be an overall lack of power in the engine. As I mentioned, when I accelerate and it finally kicks in, the bike has a lot of power.

I've looked at other posts for "reliable" mechanics here in HCMC, but before I go to one of them I wanted to get some opinions on what to ask them to look for. I've done my own car repairs in the past, but have never worked on a motorbike.

Any thoughts or insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Yamaha Nouvo 2010 (maybe Nouvo 3) is infamous for his loud engine especially when he gets older and older. The engine will be smooth when you ride at high speed (40km/h) but will be louder at low speed. You did meet some dealers and they have the same answers, so in my opinion you have to accept it. the loud comes from the old engine so you cannot do anything but buy a new handsome guy Nouvo 2015  :par:

The biggest challenge us communicating with mechanics!

Have you tried contacting the Yamaha Factory office here in HCM? Or the HCM mechanic training school?

I only buy Kymco's and use Kymco owned service stations, However, whenever I feel something hasn't been fixed properly I go to the factory training school where there are master mechanics always looking for problems to help their students. Kymco actually gives visitors motorcycles a complete overhaul free of charge.

This evening a student of mine who loves/owns Yamaha machines is coming over tonight so I will ask him and see if has any ideas. I will respond tomorrow.

I know very good 'no name' mechanics in ChoLon, if they could be of help.

Check the idle pin might have to turn it up a bit. Does it stop early in the rides?

I'm a big Kymco fan too. My Kymco Bet and Win 250 was my main mode of transportation in Canada and only dealer that offered a 2 year warranty. Surprised Kymco is considered crap in Vietnam (they still think Taiwan is same as mainland China) seeing as Kymco and Sym are a splintered group from Honda in Taiwan going back almost 60 years.

khanh44 wrote:

I'm a big Kymco fan too. My Kymco Bet and Win 250 was my main mode of transportation in Canada and only dealer that offered a 2 year warranty. Surprised Kymco is considered crap in Vietnam (they still think Taiwan is same as mainland China) seeing as Kymco and Sym are a splintered group from Honda in Taiwan going back almost 60 years.

The Kymco warranty is unbelievable - 50,000/3 years. They even offer roadside service within city limits - even hauling a failed unit back their service facility.

Now they are assembled in VN their prices for a 125cc fuel injected, auto gearbox, motorscooter has dropped from VND28,000,000 to VND16,000,000.

My unit is heavily modified (polished ports, etc) but my wife's unit is bog standard. My employer has four units of varying ages. One is over 100,000 kilometres and still running well.

When I bought my first Kymco, based on secure carrying capacity and ease of attaching a trailer hitch, I paid their asking price. Two days later they called and said they had charged too much. They refunded the erroneous amount and added 7.5% discount as 'appreciation' for accepting their error without argument. Try that in North America!

I am happy people consider Kymco as a 'Chinese' product, it makes my equipment less attractive to thieves who drool over Honda and Yamaha machines.

MY YAMAHA OWNING STUDENT, who is also an automotive electronics technician, suggested the problem might be the TIMING BELT that synchronizes the ignition with the mechanical movement (but you know that).

However, of you have electronic ignition you don't have a timing belt!

If you need the address of motorcycle whizzes in ChoLon - let me know.

I've rented quite a few Nouvos over the years and recently had a similiar problem.  It would run fine, then it would run rough from a stop, or it would refuse to start for a while, then suddenly jump to life.

I took it to have the spark plug changed and the guy just refurbished the old one, which cured the problem...for a few days. 

I took it back and insisted on a new one, which he finally installed, after complaining loudly to anyone within earshot. 

One week later the problem reappeared, prompting me to have a look-see.  On the right hand side there was a hose that had a large burn in it.  I went back and showed him; he laughed and ignored it, then cleaned the plug and got it going once again.

Three days later the problems started again, so  I fixed the hose myself. 

Problem solved.

I love Nuovos but they are gas hogs and can be problematic. Good luck!

Just a quick update for closure on this -- I went to a mechanic who is a trusted friend of my local friend, and he said that the engine was losing compression and needed some overhaul work. What I've learned is that the "service centers" for Yamaha, Honda, etc. are usually not qualified to do diagnostics. If you want the oil changed or genuine OEM parts, the service center can do that for you, but they will also find many "problems" that they will say need new parts (especially if you are foreign).

Thanks all for your ideas and suggestions, they were much appreciated.

jeff-vn wrote:

What I've learned is that the "service centers" for Yamaha, Honda, etc. are usually not qualified to do diagnostics. If you want the oil changed or genuine OEM parts, the service center can do that for you, but they will also find many "problems" that they will say need new parts (especially if you are foreign).

Pretty sad commentary on these 'leading' companies.

Kymco has three mysterious diagnostic test sockets on their motorcycles. They plug it in and the computer pumps out accurate diagnostics. All the tech has to do is put the machine on the test hoist (no wheel contact), turn the ignition on and the rest is automatic! Pretty scary when it red lines the engine revs at one point in the test - around 10,000-12,000 RPM.

No worry about the parts scam, everything free - except, tires/tyres, brake-disk pads, air filters and lubricants until 50,000 KM or 3 years.