Moving to Abu Dhabi

Hi guys

I have been accepted for an internship in Abu Dhabi from August 2015 until January 2016. But besides that, I know nothing about life in Abu Dhabi.

First of all I am looking for a place to live, preferable a shared flat with other expats, students, or young people. Also, something affordable on a student budget. So if you know about something, let me know!

Secondly, can somebody tell me a little about life in Abu Dhabi, both in regards to going out (restaurant, shopping, night life), but also with regards to public transportation, buying groceries etc. Generally, just how it is really like to be an expat in Abu Dhabi

Sara

Hi Sara,

Abu Dhabi life is very nice, it will be better than your expectations. Rents are really high so it is advised you stay in the dorms if it is available. It is too early to look for a room right now, however it is easy to get a room.
Life is easy, everything is available, taxis are high cost and public buses crowded, No metro.

Hi Scatro,
Thank you so much for your advice!
And I will look for dorms and shared apartments then!
Is it possible to ride a bike in Abu Dhabi? Forgive me if it is a ridiculous question, but I am Danish, and you go everywhere by bike here!

yes. bikes are cool for short distances. Dorms are not that easily available however sharing apartments or rooms with women and families close to your workplace would be a better option

Hi Sara,

Riding a bike in August @ 45 C hehehe it's quite a suicide. beside people drive crazy ( rule number 1 : a car has always priority than pedestrian :) and the roads are very busy in the city. at this time of the year the weather is nice until March, you can ride a bike on bike's roads like in the corniche.

Like others said, rent in Abu Dhabi are the highest, start by looking at google map about your location then check the rent there, if you are lucky you can find a shared appart or a shared room with other expat girls.

Abu dhabi is a safe city, so going out at any time will not be a problem and you have all the groceries (Baqala) everywhere, Most of the time you will end up going to a Mall because of the heat :D

Cheers

Good luck

There is no special routes for the bikes, plus the pedestrian walk ways are crowded to be used by bikers. When talking about Abu Dhabi city the only place you can bike safelyis  in the corniche where you can bike as a sport activity.

For the rental..try Dubbizle. .. u will find decent posts over there ... best of luck

Hello.  Abu Dhabi is the best country in the Middle East.  They have clubs in tourist area if you are into night life.  30-45 minutes drive to Dubai.  Taxi fares is way too high.  But there are buses around til late at night.  Just be careful out there make sure you cross the street on the right crossing lane LOL!. 

Good luck to you!

Cushina wrote:

Hello.  Abu Dhabi is the best country in the Middle East.  They have clubs in tourist area if you are into night life.  30-45 minutes drive to Dubai.  Taxi fares is way too high.  But there are buses around til late at night.  Just be careful out there make sure you cross the street on the right crossing lane LOL!. 

Good luck to you!

ALthough its not the core of the discussion, but you will not reach Dubai in 45 minutes, even in Ferrari. Hahahahha.

Thank you all for the advice so far! All really helpful :)

And 'biking to work' is definitely crossed off my list of expectations ;)

Hey,

I might be relocating to Abu Dhabi to look for work/internship around the same time frame as you. If you're interested in looking for places together, PM me. I've been to UAE twice so far and will be going for a week again in the spring.