Looking for a position in Rio de Janeiro

Good day all,

my name is Laura, I am Italian and I am planning to move to Rio de Janeiro on March the 7th.
Please note in this first istance I'll be on a VITOUR (then apply for a permanent one after the União Estável with my partner).

I have got 6 years of professional experience ( "Telesales/Sales Support" for a food company in London, "Sales Coordinator" for Belkin in Amsterdam and "Cargo Claims Handler" for Mediterranean Shipping Company - Legal department - in Geneva, Switzerland).

I speak English, French and Italian, at the moment I'm B1/B2 level in Portuguese (planning to take 10 additional weeks of classes). I also speak Dutch and Spanish on a conversational level.

As I really enjoyed my last working experience, my "ideal" position would be in a Shipping Company, either in the Legal/Claims department, either in the Commercial one (Liner Department). However, for a start, everything would be good: from Receptionist to Customer Service to Hospitality etc..
I am very flexible, hard working, passionate and a very fast learner.

If you would like to have additional information and/or a copy of my CV please do not hesitate to drop me a line. References available.

Best Regards,
Laura

Hi Laura,

Well, hopefully you already know that a VITUR Tourist Visa does not permit work or study in Brazil and I guess I needn't explain the consequences of violating that requirement.

You will only be able to apply for your Carteira de Trabalho e Previdência Social - CTPS (work permit) once you have actually been granted permanency, and without that and a CPF number (individual tax number) you won't even get offered work unfortunately.

Also Brazilian law requires all employers to prove that they've exhausted all efforts to place a qualified Brazilian in any job vacancy before they are permitted to fill it with a foreign national, so for any of us expats finding work really is an uphill battle from the outset. However since the port of Rio de Janeiro and Angara dos Reis are among the most important in the country your work experience will probably help you greatly once you do start job hunting.

You are wise to continue you studies in Portuguese, shoot for as high a level as you can achieve since English is NOT widely spoken here, not even in the workplace. You will need strong communication skills in Portuguese to get along in the workplace and in day-to-day living.

Good luck to you on all counts.

Cheers,
James        Expat-blog Experts Team

Hi James,

yes, I know I won't be able to have any "legal" job on a Tourist/Student Visa, but maybe, perhaps =P out there there is someone happy to offer me a position in order for me to start the Permanent Visa application process.
However, I am perfectly aware of the fact that .... it is really unlikely it will happen.

As said in another post I will come with a VITOUR in March, then go back home, enroll to a Portuguese school, apply for the Student Visa, go back to Brazil, do the União Estável with my partner, apply for the VIPER and then look for a job. It will be a very long and tiring process I believe but I hope it will be worth it, or at least, to give it a try.

Anyway, I trust my advantage "on Brazilians" would be the fact I speak few languages more than most of them, but we will see.
I also would have a small project in mind and in this sense would make sense to get the Permanet Visa based on a investment but I need to "study" all the situation once in Rio.

In the worst scenario I will learn perfect Portuguese and come back to EU.. =/

Xx

If you are applying for Permanência definitiva com base em união estável, this is defined as a conjugal relationship (without distinction of gender) that has already been in existance for a provable period of at least one year. It must be supported by a number of different documents such as rental contract or property deed in both names, joint bank account, life insurance policy naming one party as insured and the other as beneficiary, joint tax return (or one where both parties names appear), among others.

See the Ministry of Justice link below for further information:

http://www.justica.gov.br/seus-direitos … ao-de-sexo

Cheers,
James   Expat-blog Experts Team

Hi James,
my boyfriend went to a cartorio in Niteroi and the asked only my ID and the CPF, which I've aready got.
I know different cartorios may ask for different documents and we will go indeed for the one less fussy about it. Again, on a VITOUR I'll never be able to have my name on a flat/bank account, nor life insurance etc.. all this come AFER have a VIPER.
Also the following link says that the "comprovante de endereço and the certidão de estado civil" might be asked by some cartorios.
guiadocumentos.com.br/declaracao-de-uniao-estavel/

Hi Laura,

Those are the documents that you need for the VIPER, not to just establish the União Estável. Without them your application will not be accepted by the Policia Federal.

Please read the link provided in my previous posting again, it appears that you're not quite understanding the process.

Cheers,
James

Sorry but you should trust your "advantage on Brazilians would be the fact I speak few languages more than most of them". This is not an advantage to be foreigner and portuguese is the only important language. Being fluent is necessary, possibly without any accent (and I know it is difficult for Italians and french like me).  Local experience, local diploma and who you know is important to find a job.

Bardamu wrote:

Being fluent is necessary, possibly without any accent (and I know it is difficult for Italians and french like me).  Local experience, local diploma and who you know is important to find a job.

Exactly! While knowledge of other languages may be of some help, English is not spoken widely in Brazil even in the workplace. One must have a decent command of Portuguese to survive in the workplace, without it you are unable to communicate effectively with your superiors, co-workers, customers/clients. This becomes even more crucial if you are dealing directly with the public.

Cheers,
James      Expat-blog Experts Team

Hi Laura,

Another avenue to try is to join www.Internations.org. You could post a message, or simply visit one of their mixers, which in Rio typically attract more than 100 people. Most of the members are professionals. It' a great place to network. - John

PS I think we already exchanged messages on my JohnInBrazil blog. Let me know if I can be of further assistance.