Google Maps Navigation

Hi all,

Was wondering of anyone has google maps navigation working for android here in HCM? I can get route preview only on both my devices here. It was working in Germany on both devices last week.

I saw a thread from Jaitch in 2012 where it wasn't working and then it was, hopefully there's some way I can get it going otherwise I'm totally lost. :)

Cheers,

Tim

I use google maps navigation on Nexus 7 in HCM city so I know when to get off the bus. It was working a while ago offline for me but recently it hasn't. I would have to be online for it to work.

Hi Tim

Unfortunately it doesn't work here at the moment. My best recommendation would be installing OsmAnd+ from Google Play. It has a small cost but works very well and does everything you require for mapping destinations and sorting routes to and from. There is a free version but the '+' version is definitely better.

I hope this helps.

Chris Lee

Thanks, that's a bummer, I actually got a pebble smart watch mostly for the purpose of having turn by turn navigation on my wrist while riding. Google maps actually seems to be pretty excellent here otherwise.

I'll check out OSMand to see if I can get that running with the pebble. Cheers,
-Tim

I use Google maps on my PC - it worked yesterday but haven't tried it since.  I had my smartphone stolen, so I can't tell you about the Android version.

Hi,

Google Maps work well in my Android online and offline. But sometimes it shows the streets which don't exist and I wish it told me how the streets are.

Regards

Before I came to HCM i  intended to use Google maps but wondered how it could work while outside without being online. I downloaded free maps for my Garmin and used that without problems.

I use GPS daily but, of course, GPS units have special, optimised, receivers, along with equally optimised antennae.

Anything 'smart' uses cell identifiers, WiFi signal reception as well as GPS to work. External antennae are needed in areas with more dense foliage as well as the more densely populated parts of urban areas.

The GPS receiver modules on all our company cell handsets have been neutralised to prevent tracking.

We have new mapping software but I also find Bing Maps to be better than Google in some respects. www.DiaDiem.com is best for VN urban areas.

Russia's Global Orbiting Navigation Satellite System GLONASS and the Chinese systems have decent coverage here in VN. These require a software upgrade for many units to interpret the signals.

China's BeiDou Navigation Satellite System (Chinese: 北斗卫星导航系统 or 北斗衛星導航系統; in PinYin: Běidǒu wèixīng dǎoháng xìtǒng) has a couple of networks - one a test system - that is still being populated.

The Euro Galileo will be a global navigation satellite system (GNSS) and is currently being built by the European Union (EU). US officials have famously stated it will be destroyed in the event the system fails to observe orders issued by the USA.

Just an update on OSMAnd+ - I'm using it and it seems to work okay. Not quite as polished as google maps, but the navigation is mostly good enough.

The documentation points to pebble (smartwatch) integration being available, but the notifications I'm getting are pretty useless. Instead, I'm using my bluetooth headset and that seems to get me from a to b well enough. Definitely need to have some idea of where I'm going first because it's not perfect, but it's been pretty helpful anyway.

OSM maps is actually pretty good but it ain't pretty.
The app you want to download and use is "Nokia Here" maps if you have windows phone or an android device. It has turn-by-turn (turn based) directions, like your looking for. It also is good because you can download offline maps for the whole country and not just a certain area like on google maps. Be careful if you are using a motorbike and use your phone. Those motorbike thieves are quick!

I use Windows Phone. Unfortunately I can not use properly why at certain moments locks, the site seems to come down. It should be an incompatibility with Windows. Does anyone know maps app in the Windows Store?