Yachtsmen / women, Sailors

Hi, I've been cruising around the Med for the last 8 years in a sailing yacht. Yacht now sold; and plan to come to Thailand end of January looking for another yacht to spend a few years cruising around Asia. I will need some form of accomodation in / around Phuket if anyone has any idea's? whilst looking, probably 'long term' , 'self catering' style.

Cheers Tony

Tony Wilkes wrote:

Hi, I've been cruising around the Med for the last 8 years in a sailing yacht. Yacht now sold; and plan to come to Thailand end of January looking for another yacht to spend a few years cruising around Asia. I will need some form of accomodation in / around Phuket if anyone has any idea's? whilst looking, probably 'long term' , 'self catering' style.

Cheers Tony

Welcome to the forum.

I suggest that you Google  'yacht or sailing clubs Phuket' as there are such clubs there. Do the same for accommodation.

Thank you 'Stumpy' will do.
Regards Tony

sounds like you've had some time out there. you should have no problem in Phuket. but the main boat area is not near the spotlight area. not a lot of Xpats seam to talk much hear. I live in BKK area. May the wind be to your back and the sun in front of you. I was looking at a 45ft before. saw some thing in the area. been a few yrs . Bodacious

Thanks Bodacious,

Yes, spent the last 8 years cruising the Med, sold my yacht in Greece, want to spend time cruising Asia. They tell me most of the yachts are on the east coast, so looking to get a base/transport in Phuket Town and move around from there looking!

Thanks for the reply
Tony

How large a sailboat are you looking for?  I have a MacGregor 65 available.  It is a racer cruiser that will sail 30 km., turn in one boat length, displaces 16 tons, has 26 layers of Fiberglas in the hull, 6' watertight compartment forward, 52 HP Yanmar Diesel engine, Electric Maxwell winch.

Contact me for more information.  I am in NaJomtien.

Hello Thaihank, Thanks for the reply. The 'Big Mac 65' one of, if not THE, fastest racer cruisers on the market. Wonderful, long slim, cuts through the water like a dream. It may be a little bigger than I envisaged, ideally, I'm looking for a yacht 47 to 55 ft. however, we can certainly meet up and have a look! My plan is to arrive in Phuket late Jan,early Feb. Please forward your contact details.
Mine:- acwilkes(at)hotmail dot com Tel: 00447822167094
Regards  Tony

Zeus, the big red boat, is currently in Florida.  It is for sale at $99,000, priced $30,000 less than any other MacGregor on the current market.

You can contact me by e mail at [email protected].

Dear Tony
This is my first response on ExpatBlog. I suggest you contact Gerry Hodges (G&T Boat Yard, Ao Po - +66828397701) He may have something that you can use.
best Wishes
Regards
Jim
(SV Laura Cie)

Lucky you! I'm not familiar with Phuket but there will be plenty or places. You could google Phuket rentals or condo's or similar search terms. Suggest book a hotel/guest house online for the first few days, rent a motorbike and ride around looking at places. Get a Thai to write down for you what "room to rent" looks like in Thai script. Have you thought about your visa status?