New Year, New You...Really?

I was thinking about how I would like to make the most of 2015. It came upon us sort of ubruptly. I was thinking about things I could improve- like getting myself up out of bed for Fajr (first prayer of the day) instead of thinking, "I have time to sleep. I'll surely be up before it's time for the next prayer." NOT a good habit. Of course, like almost all other women, I was thinking about weightloss and that I WILL make it happen this year. I've said that many years in a row. Why do we make the new year a starting line for self-improvement?

Well, a new year means a new opporunity for people who look forward to take advantage of their time and change the aspects in their personality and life that cause pain. Unfortunately, most new year's resolutions fall apart after two weeks because normally people don't make a compelling vision that keep them on track.
Will power is going to fade no matter how hard you try to nourish it. While a clear goal would literally pull you towards it. So the secret to skip all the schizophrenic thoughts of "new me" is to embrace an attitude change which lets you engage in effective daily habits that will be responsible for the continuous progress you are looking for.

I stopped a long time ago with this "self-improvement" on the first January of each brand new year.
Why?
For the same reason as above: lack of will power. Its better to take small steps to reach your goal on the time you are ready for.

Regarding humans themselves, why would one have to wait till the new year in order to improve habbits, mind, manners, attitute etc..  So, in fact nothing new about it!

I'm getting divorced- not sure if that counts but will be a different lifestyle!

Hey bratty,I'm sorry to hear that... Hope things can be sorted and there's still hope. Are you moving to Jordan?

The new year means as much to me as 1st of Muharram! I don't make any plans on the beginning of Muharram, so why would I of Jan. Just a day like any other, which I'm always grateful for! I try to take advantage to the fullest, of every moment I have. Cherish it before it's too late. Simple.