Will wriiting

Not a subject that anyone really wants to think about but one must  -  so as we need to have a will for Cyprus to cover ourselves.. we have one for uK and oine for Malta but not yet here!!!!! does anyone have any recommendations as to who to use or how to do it. here...

Does Cyprus recognise a UK will, or indeed any other EU member states wills..... ?

hi toon. i had my will made out in england before i moved to cyprus, i was informed that it would not be valid in cyprus especially as i had a property here. i had a will made out here in cyprus and later found out i was  overcharged by more than double the price. however, i had to change my will due to circumstances, i  went to the court house where my will was kept to retrieve my old will with all the necessary documentation as proof of identity and was told i would require a letter from a solicitor or the presence of a solicitor before my old will could be handed over to me. yes it's the stench making euros via the legal system. however toon the new will i had made out automatically cancels out the old will. i can recommend a company called proact in paphos they are english and deal with all the issues of overseas properties e.t.c.  within the cypriot legal system. they can be contacted on 26819424 or e mailed at  [email protected]   good luck.

Cheers LondonChap - we dont have property here and never will - we simply rent  - makes shipping out locally or internationally much easier... we like the flexibility aspect a lot....and we keep our cash to a minimum here - so ts only car and belongings really....

what was the cost if you dont mind me asking (Pm if you like) and was that a mirror will or a single one...

we have wills in UK and Malta and theyre ok for now

Hello Toon,

In Cyprus, like in many nations a Testator will be restricted as to their ability to dispose of the statutory undisposable portion of their estate if they have a surviving spouse or children (in Cyprus currently on half of the bulk of the estate).

Cyprus joined the European Network of Registers of Wills Association (ENRWA) in 2005, which currently has 14 member nations, of which the UK is one. So your UK Will is not only recognized as valid, but also searchable in Cyprus.

See the following links for further details:

Wills and Successions Law in Cyprus

European Network of Registers of Wills Association

Cheers,
James        Expat-blog Experts Team

hi toon, the first will i had made out here in cyprus in 2007 cost me 300 cypriot pounds for a single will. but they did put a nice wax seal on the back of the envelope at the court house and i got lots of lovely happy looking smiles from the chap and my  [ex] solicitor. however toon i cannot remember exactly what i paid with proact but if i remember more or less it was about 120 euros something like that, i have left the will in their possession for safe keeping , i have a copy and so do the executors, there is a charge of 30 euros for them to store the will but it is optional. i am sure if you e mail them they will give you a quote, my will with them was made out just over 2 years ago. good luck and a long life toon.

thank you for that information james most helpful, different than what i was told in 2007 by my solicitor. good luck.

cheers James

Having a proper will is important and many of us dont want to think about this - but should - found this and thought it may be of interest for those here or are thinking of or about to move to Cyprus http://www.willpower.co.uk/

cheers London chap will follow up on this as have a quote now from willpower.co.uk

got a silly quote from Pro-act..... anyway made our mirror wills today with Willpower and they are cover-all worldwide wills . Prompt and efficient and a reasonable charge for them. (£100 each). with a very reasonable annual fee for safe storage (£25)

really toon, can i ask you what their pro-acts quote was?

cant tell you too much really londonchap

as they conveniently amalgamated tax stuff in the quote but thought they were way over the top even for that so decided to go with willpower...

ok toon, my will was just a basic will for one person, i don't have much so i suppose that was the reason why. good luck and many more years to you.

we took out mirror worldwide wills plus a few extras  that covered our individual needs so we thought it was a good service.. and all done in our home too.