Vietnam Expat: Need birth certificate: Mother never registered.

Hi everyone, I was born in Long Xuyen Vietnam in 1978 and my mom left shortly after.  She never registered my birth and left on a boat to come to the United States. 

I need a birth certificate and I've contacted the consulate, but they said they cannot issue me one unless I speak with someone at the Dept of Justice at Long Xuyen. 

I've been here for so long, that I can barely speak Vietnamese anymore.  Can someone help me get the information I need please?  Thanks

Hello citius,

I think that it would be beneficial for you to post this in the Vietnam Forum.

It makes sense that you'll stand a better chance of getting somebody in Vietnam to obtain the information you need. Also it is likely to be a local phone call to speak to somebody in the Department of Justice for a member of the Vietnam Forum.

Cheers,
James           Expat-blog Experts Team

Hi citius,

welcome to Expat.com! :)

Your topic is now on the Vietnam forum.

The best way to act is to E-MAIL to the Ministry of Justice in Ha Noi. They have a web site Ministry of Justice, VietNam.

The crazy Reunification Government was in charge around the time you were born.

Ask the MOJ to give you the address, information, etc. Telephoning is a dumb idea, especially since the records are almost prehistoric.

can you give me the email of ministry of justice in Ha Noi?

Scroll the page down to see Contact
http://moj.gov.vn/en/Pages/home.aspx

Cheers,

i kind of had the same problem. in that i was born in Bac lieu in 1973 and left for australia when i was 4. I recently applied for a vietnam passport and needed a birth certificate. and had to return to bac lieu to get it.
I went to the bac lieu registrar office, got a form, filled it out and they went to ask the neighbors around where i grew up if they knew me and my family etc... and paid a bit of money and got it in a few weeks. hope this helps.

My friend is a refugee and parents lost all papers when leaving Vietnam, now residing in Denmark. She was born in a northern province.  She is now applying for immigration into US and they ask for Birth certificate.  She had to hire a lawyer in Vietnam to visit the old town asking for past record.  Problems is that Department of justice do not speak English and you do not speak Vietnamese.  Cheers, Jenny

bongolongo wrote:

i kind of had the same problem. in that i was born in Bac lieu in 1973 and left for australia when i was 4. I recently applied for a vietnam passport and needed a birth certificate. and had to return to bac lieu to get it.
I went to the bac lieu registrar office, got a form, filled it out and they went to ask the neighbors around where i grew up if they knew me and my family etc... and paid a bit of money and got it in a few weeks. hope this helps.

How long did it take you to get the passport done?