What's with the ubiquituous paper wipes?

This is something that has been bothering me for a long time, and I guess the last day of the year is as good time as any to finally drop the question.

So, what's with the omnipresent boxes of paper wipes all around the place? I see them everywhere, at homes, in offices, in cars (for front and passenger seats)....once I was politely persuaded that I really need a box of my own on my desk at work. There are piles of boxes of paper wipes in supermarkets, people buy 6-packs so they don't run out of them.

I understand they are nice to have around, but there seems to be an exaggerated fixation on them around here....or is there something I am missing? :)

paper wipes? ... maybe I'm picturing the wrong thing... but, in my culture we call what I 'think' your seeing as Kleenex, for your noise... here I see it used for everything.  Back home we have specialty designed paper for every occasion... paper for the toilet (degrades in water quickly), and puffy and soft for the backside comfort (lol)... hand paper that is thicker and doesn't degrade with water (not to use or put down the toilet unless you want a mess), one type for bathroom, one type for general or kitchen use (referred to as paper towels)... tissue or face paper (very soft) for sneezing and or blowing the nose when you have the flu (what I see a lot around here - maybe it's the cheapest here, I don't know) ... paper napkins designed for wiping your fingers while eating (generally thinker and more robust) ... and wet naps for many different uses where as you may need wet paper as apposed to dry.  ...and probably a couple others that I'm missing... lol

what was the question again?  :p   :D

Enigmausly! Have you been...drinking? :)

In this case I think we can call them tissues, the square pieces op paper that are quite useless as they are usually so thin that they fall apart as soon as you touch them. :)

I wish... (I'll leave that at that)  lol

and yes, a very 'cheap' version of tissue... I would say its probably safe to use for the toilet, but it's so thin it would probable come apart during the wipe (oh-my the visuals!  lol)  :D

The times when one is grateful for that little shower-thingy!

yeah, I make fun of it here, but miss it when it's not around ... ... sorta like x-gf's ... oops!  lol

my first impression of a western expat in an arab bathroom with a french toilet seat (as opposed to all-arabic squatting) finding a "little shower thingy" instead of toilet paper is, am i supposed to grow my own tree and make my own toilet paper?

tissues are used for a multitude of things, wiping your nose, your brow, anything and everything! at barbers especially, they use em left right and center, and throw em away without a second thought!

what u got against tissues Riba? :P

Absolutely nothing against them, as I said they usually come in handy, but it is not something I am used to find virtually everywhere, regardless of the time and place. :)