Need advice on neighboorhoods and where to live!

Hello! My husband and I will be moving to Edinburgh this spring. We are both young professionals in our early 30's. My husband will be working in Glenrothes, and I will most likely be working from home. Can anyone recommend a neighborhood for us? We would like to be reasonably close to some restaurants/bars/shops without being in an area that is overly crowded and congested. Personally, I'd like to be somewhere I can meet people and walk around a bit, but with less than an hour commute for my husband. Something close to public transportation is preferred as we will only have one car. A clean and safe neighborhood is a must, but hopefully that goes without saying.

Many thanks in advance for your input!

Hi,

We just moved from a place close to Glenrothes to Edinburgh. We live in the Craigleith area, which is a bit on the outside of Edinburgh. We can walk into Stockbridge, which is a very nice area with lots of shops and pubs/restaurants. 

Other than this area I found Murrayfield nice; it's where the rugby stadium is, but also has some nice pubs etc.

An area to avoid, based on the local news I read, is the Leith area in the north of town. They are doing it up, and there is a nice mall, but still I wouldn't want to live there.

It is quite a commute for your husband, by the way. Without traffic it's around 45 minutes, depending on where you need to be in Edinburgh, but remember that you always have to cross the Forth Road Bridge, which could take a while in rush hour or when there's bad weather. (If your husband works odd hours, it's not a problem, of course.)

Good luck with your choices and upcoming move!