Considering move from US to Glasgow for school

Hi there,
I'm in the process of applying to University of Glasgow for a second Master's degree, and then hopefully on to a PhD. My husband is a dual US/UK citizen with Scottish and English relatives.  I'm a bit nervous about an overseas move - we have a dog and cat (no kids), and a full house because my parents have passed away and I have no other immediate family. I'm a bit nervous about putting all of my possessions (including family heirlooms going back several generations, artwork, photos, memories, etc) in storage for a year to 4 years until we find out if we'll stay in the UK or head back to the US. I wouldn't have this reservation if my parents were still alive and my things could be left safe with them, but the thought of my (and my family's) entire life going into storage has me a bit freaked out. That and moving an aging dog who has already survived one long overseas trip as a puppy. I'm not as worried about the cat. ;)

Anyhow, any advice and reassurance would be appreciated! I'm sure that when and if I have been accepted to school that my husband and I will be on this page more frequently!

Thanks in advance!

Hello Daph317 and welcome to Expat.com!

Nice introduction! Looking for hear from you soon

Happy New Year :)

Kenjee
Expat.com Team

Glasgow is a wild city, populated with fantastic people.
I've only had the pleasure of going a couple of times, but the local people were so welcoming of a stranger.
I loved the place.

Hi Daph,

my wife and I moved from Australia to Glasgow 2 years ago.
We have left all our possessions in storage in Australia and I'm thinking they are probably safer there than anywhere else.  I don't think of them at all as I am too busy living in the present and making do with fewer material possessions. It will be nice to see our stuff again when the time comes but I don't worry about it.
We also brought over an elderly dog (she was 11 and a half) and she just had the best 2 years of her life as the UK is so dog-friendly. Walks, pubs, getting patted all the time.  If the vet says your dog is healthy enough then don't think twice about it - bring him/her over.
You will love it in Scotland and in particular Glasgow.

Thanks so much for the reassurance, everyone!
And so good to know how dog-friendly Scotland is!

Hi Daph, I work as a Secondary schoolteacher in Glasgow in a number of schools.

As in any other country there is quite a bit of variety. If your children are aged between 11 and 17
I would recommend Hillhead Secondary. It is very cosmopolitan, is situated in the West End and
is only 5 mins walk from the University.

There is a fairly low crime rate in the city, especially in the West End and there are great bars (pubs)
and restaurants so i am sure you will enjoy it.