Savings for 12,000 SR

Hi All,

I have got a 2 year contract with a well diversified group of companies and will be posted out of Riyadh. My monthly basic salary is SR 16,200 per month (Basic + Accomodation + Transport+ Insurance). I will also be provided with a one trip airfare to India for my family.

So, here is my question:

Assuming I rent out a studio in an Indian compound, and the below quoted expense heads, what would be my net savings:

1. House rent:
2. Public transport:
3. Laundry expenses:
4. Weekly once eat out for 2:
5. Monthly once shopping at a mall: 100 - 150 SR (Do you get anything on this budget?)
6. Household groceries: 300 SR (Budget capped)
7. Utility charges:

I understand that House rent is probably the biggest % of all of it, but if someone who is staying in Riyadh be able to fill up the heads for 1-5, it shall give me a fair estimate on how much I can save for a month?

Thanks
V

I don't think you'll spend SR100-150 at a mall, you'll be spending much more, especially for food. Thats just what I could spot, but I don't think your estimates are accurate. You don't get much for 150, unless you shop at Batha, a good lady's dress in a mall will cost you around 70

Quick reply (I stay in Jazan though, which's much the same in terms of expenses one way or the other - family of 4 here with 2 school kids.)

1. House rent: In Riyadh it will be about 1000 - 2000 for a 2-3 BR flat; depending on landlord, electricity may be extra - 60SR - 100 SR per month for me)
2. Public transport: None exist here, for 2 cabs a month (school & office) I spend 900 SR. I should really get my license and car soon! (Cant buy car unless you get a license, which's a bit of a hassle here)
3. Laundry expenses: I do my own; buy a good washing machine and iron, you're fine.
4. Weekly once eat out for 2: Cheap; 30SR feeds a family of 4 more than once. (I have picky kids)
5. Monthly once shopping at a mall: 100 - 150 SR (Do you get anything on this budget?) That's my weekly grocery bill! If you throw in eating out and games for the kids the mall, double this per week.
6. Household groceries: 300 SR (Budget capped) Should be good if you are single / no kids and don't buy higher-priced imported stuff.
7. Utility charges: Electricity above, mobiles / international calls about 25-50 SR monthly (2 phones); STC Home Broadband 140 SR /  month.

Roughly, you'd spend about 3000-4000 SR per month for a comfortable living..

All the best!

Thanks Agad.

V

Hi Summurao,

Thank you for your detailed reply. I have been doing some research and I find a mention of SAPTCO which runs buses (I guess AC). My office will be at Riyadh 11383 (I don't know the area though). Are you aware if this area is connected by SAPTCO?

Additionally, can you help me with areas where I can find Indian compounds?

Thanks for all your help.

V

SAPTCO run long distance buses.

saptco.com.sa/mainsite/Home.aspx?lang=en-US
You can find cabs easliy (though they're costly at 5 - 15 SR per trip in the city).

No need of staying in a compound; you can quite easily find apartments where there are a lot of Indians. There are compounds only for Westerners, and they're too expensive and restrictive.

Don't be tensed up much, I have been here 9 months, and I love this country and the people. Riyadh is a bit more restrictive than Jazan, but Indians are everywhere.

Saptco runs 3 public buses. I mean real busses not the Minihees.
9 Batha to Dalia. Every half hour at 5 after and 35 after at Riyadh Gallery.
10 Malaz National Hospital to Rowda.
11. ??? to Takahussi street. Wasn't there long enough to find the origination point.

summurao wrote:

Quick reply (I stay in Jazan though, which's much the same in terms of expenses one way or the other - family of 4 here with 2 school kids.)

1. House rent: In Riyadh it will be about 1000 - 2000 for a 2-3 BR flat; depending on landlord, electricity may be extra - 60SR - 100 SR per month for me)
2. Public transport: None exist here, for 2 cabs a month (school & office) I spend 900 SR. I should really get my license and car soon! (Cant buy car unless you get a license, which's a bit of a hassle here)
3. Laundry expenses: I do my own; buy a good washing machine and iron, you're fine.
4. Weekly once eat out for 2: Cheap; 30SR feeds a family of 4 more than once. (I have picky kids)
5. Monthly once shopping at a mall: 100 - 150 SR (Do you get anything on this budget?) That's my weekly grocery bill! If you throw in eating out and games for the kids the mall, double this per week.
6. Household groceries: 300 SR (Budget capped) Should be good if you are single / no kids and don't buy higher-priced imported stuff.
7. Utility charges: Electricity above, mobiles / international calls about 25-50 SR monthly (2 phones); STC Home Broadband 140 SR /  month.

Roughly, you'd spend about 3000-4000 SR per month for a comfortable living..

All the best!

Summurao
1. what kind of house or room do you get for 1000 or 2000 riyals? is this monthly or yearly rent?

Cvishy, your lifestyle will change once you live here in Saudi Arabia. Different people have different needs. if your lifestyle in india is very plain simple, and you have set or visualize your future after working in Saudi, then you can save much.

no offense meant. most guys from the subcontinent, after arriving here they started to buy branded clothing, act like hollywood stars, drive fancy cars. well that's their lives anyway but i'm giving you the idea. food is cheap, clothing is cheap, gas is cheap, cars are cheap. electronics are cheap. i don't know where that house is located that cost 1000 or 2000 sar ;-)

Hi Summurao,
Are you currently living in Riyadh? or Mangalore? Your profile suggests that you're still in India....
  :(

Dear CVishy,

Here in Riyadh Indian compounds are rare and normally it is safe to  live outside. I am also Indian working here from past one year and not living in compound. Even if you get compound its quite costly unless provided by your company. The rents are not less than 60K annually for 1 BHK in good compound.
The house rents are 1500-2500 SAR depending on type of flat and locality.
Regarding other expenses can be covered in 2500 and depending on distance between your home to office taxi can be any where 500-1000 SAR per month. No Public transports are avialable other than taxis.
So for your estimation all inclusive max 5000-6000 SAR you can consider as expenses here.

Hope this helps you...

VB12345 wrote:

Dear CVishy,

Here in Riyadh Indian compounds are rare and normally it is safe to  live outside. I am also Indian working here from past one year and not living in compound. Even if you get compound its quite costly unless provided by your company. The rents are not less than 60K annually for 1 BHK in good compound.
The house rents are 1500-2500 SAR depending on type of flat and locality.
Regarding other expenses can be covered in 2500 and depending on distance between your home to office taxi can be any where 500-1000 SAR per month. No Public transports are avialable other than taxis.
So for your estimation all inclusive max 5000-6000 SAR you can consider as expenses here.

Hope this helps you...

Nicely covered.. just back from a trip to Riyadh where I visited friends, for semi-compounds (mostly Indian) they are paying 60-80k a year, on top of agent commission and furniture cost to previous occupant.
To the original poster, Riyadh is swell now from a personal freedom point of view, plus you get a lot of Indian restaurants, Lulu and Nesto for all the Indian stuff including snacks and food. But I guess it will be tempting to spend, and unless you can keep tight control on your budget, you'll end up spending more than the indicated 5k SR for an upper-middle class kind of life.
If saving is your intention, stick to the Batha side for cheaper accommodation, though it's a bit cramped. But you may get the 2SR mini-buses (for males only) to your workplace, which's a plus. Also, make sure your (private) company employer covers medical insurance..
All the best. PM for anything more. Also I'd learn Arabic starting immediately!

SAPTCO, to transport from cities and countries.
there are private drivers and you will find them around schools and universities. Mostly are Buses and cars but probably it is better to buy a car.
Cleaning outside home costs only 1-3 S.R per saudi male dress.. it saves your time and effort. 
150 is OK for 2 weeks vegetables.  Try to buy from shops on the street, they are cheeper than that inside malls and one ceiling shopping.

Renting a house is very expensive because we have a very large need for hosing, You may rent an apartment which may cost around 30 K S.R. yearly  (Most expensive once ) you will find lower if you searched. the real east office commission is 2.5%  and he is not allowed to take more.
Buy your future from used future shops they are sheep and have good items. Sell them once your contract is over.