APARTMENT LIVING

Hey everyone, kemol here, kool blog n forum, I will be traveling to Vietnam in the near future n I wonder how expats dwell in Vietnam, I've found n learn a little about hostel n its convenience, but what if you wanted an actually apartment, are there certain time limits u must sign by? Are there special documents u must have? I'd like to learn more, and any input would be valuable to me thanks very much (tusi) haha haha
PS I'm visiting hcmc

Money is the essential thing. You will need (usually) 3 months rent first payment (first month PLUS 2 months security payment). Rooms and Flats are also available. Always pay deposits and rent BY BANK DEPOSIT - it means you know how to find LL if he disappears at deposit refund time.

If you look at Foreigner only (mainly) enclaves you will get ripped; mixed areas (not that there are banned areas for VNese) are usually far less.

Water (includes sewage charge), electricity, gas, cable TV, InterNet are all extra.

Craigs List will give you an idea of costs. If you are visiting look at Quan 3, and Quan 7 for more economical units. 2-bedroom, 2 toilets - at around 84 m2 are USD$400-500/month on a 12-month lease.

Most leases have have early cancellation BOTH WAYS (LL can boot you). Rental laws over here are extremely weak - near to none existent.

Come over, put up in a hotel, case the areas with regard to reaching work, shopping, etc. - check for flooding (a serious problem in HCM).

Jaitch wrote:

Money is the essential thing. You will need (usually) 3 months rent first payment (first month PLUS 2 months security payment). Rooms and Flats are also available. Always pay deposits and rent BY BANK DEPOSIT - it means you know how to find LL if he disappears at deposit refund time.

If you look at Foreigner only (mainly) enclaves you will get ripped; mixed areas (not that there are banned areas for VNese) are usually far less.

Water (includes sewage charge), electricity, gas, cable TV, InterNet are all extra.

Craigs List will give you an idea of costs. If you are visiting look at Quan 3, and Quan 7 for more economical units. 2-bedroom, 2 toilets - at around 84 m2 are USD$400-500/month on a 12-month lease.

Most leases have have early cancellation BOTH WAYS (LL can boot you). Rental laws over here are extremely weak - near to none existent.

Come over, put up in a hotel, case the areas with regard to reaching work, shopping, etc. - check for flooding (a serious problem in HCM).

Hey thank you so much for this information, I learn new things everyday, so if I'm visiting for 2 months u would recommend a hostle, I'm trying to find reviews for a good one but no luck

Try Vungtau. Some people, who are living in Australia are renting out there house for something like 6 months.
3 floors 20x5 meters, and i think they will ask around 550/600/650 us/month. But give a reply on this forum and I will check the phone nr of him and I will aks the price per month. In Vungtau it's normal you pay 1 month upfront to cover costs, to cover something like you damage the furniture during your stay or so. Elec,water,tv, garbadge disposel internet, ect is extra. If you go through an agent it is double the rent upfront.He or she wants to make money as well.
But all these houses have air conditioners, Apartments are also availible for lets say around 400/450, but you do have noisy people on the left and right sometimes. I would say, rent a room in a cheap hotel, make a deal with them, you are staying there, lets say 2 weeks, and check the area for renting places. Good luck.

Festeem wrote:

Try Vungtau. Some people, who are living in Australia are renting out there house for something like 6 months.
3 floors 20x5 meters, and i think they will ask around 550/600/650 us/month. But give a reply on this forum and I will check the phone nr of him and I will aks the price per month. In Vungtau it's normal you pay 1 month upfront to cover costs, to cover something like you damage the furniture during your stay or so. Elec,water,tv, garbadge disposel internet, ect is extra. If you go through an agent it is double the rent upfront.He or she wants to make money as well.
But all these houses have air conditioners, Apartments are also availible for lets say around 400/450, but you do have noisy people on the left and right sometimes. I would say, rent a room in a cheap hotel, make a deal with them, you are staying there, lets say 2 weeks, and check the area for renting places. Good luck.

Thanks buddy your information is helpful, n I'll consider that

Just neg a long stay at a hotel for only 2 months. They gave cheap hotels everywhere. You can get a decent hotel for 175 to 300 bucks a month.  A lot of times they are just as nice as efficient rental rooms costing double.  They also provide you water.  Air con and electric in the price.  Internet and cable too.  In 2008 I lived in a hotel for 6 months.  Neg the price upfront and you should do well.  No need to buy anything or worry about paying other bills like electric it Internet since it's a hotel. And anything on Craigslist is very overpriced.  Besides hotel will clean for you everyday. .

I lived in vung tau for a year.  You can rent a nice apt at bihn an apt for 250 bucks a month.  I have no idea where these people are paying 400 to 500 a month.  Those are villas pricing. I live in a compound about the size of 2 or more villas now and only pay 300 a month in a large city.  Those are what we call white face prices

We live in Tan Binh and pay $350 a month for our apartment (two of us). We actually found our landlord on expatblog. It's a great apartment, very safe with 24/7 security. Balcony, bedroom, kitchen and private bedroom. Cleaner twice a week. We live outside of the main districts although public transport is brilliant here and so so cheap. We only had to pay one month in advance for a deposit and they needed our passports for registration. If you decide to stay longer definitely look into getting an apartment but if you want to be in the centre and aren't too bothered about having your own kitchen than the quality of hostel you can get here are great. Also, have you considered a home stay? They sound great and you can find so many different types of families to suit your character best. Good luck!