Nice contacts, networking, friends

Hi,
I'm Irene. I love to learn about differnt cultures and traveling. I will be in Nice on  Jan 21st for a week. Hoping to explore the area for possible job opportunities for Americans and possible relocation. Hoping to make a few contacts before deciding between Nice France and Turkey (a very strong possibility too).

And advise on American companies around the area or language schools that are open to hiring expats? How does one make new friends?

Thanks,
Irene

Hello Irene

Hope that some expats around who know any American company can give you the info.

Finding work in France is actually an almost impossible task right now. You should also be fluent in French if you wish to have a chance.

You may wish to read our articles in our section Work in France.

This might help

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team

Thanks for your advise…appreciated.

Hi Irene,

I'm Irish and I also have CELTA and have been looking for work teaching English. I've been here since September and have so far had no luck in that area. Having said that I only have 3 months experience in a language school, so it may be down to a lack of experience. I have found a job with not too much difficulty but it's in a hotel on reception. I also speak French. I don't know if you speak French but I would agree with kenjee, I think it would be quite difficult to get a job here without the language.

If you have any questions regarding the city or anything else just give me a shout! Good luck :)

Maeve

Hi Irene,
you didn't give much info about your background. However, you DON'T have to know any French to find meaningful work in France!!! If you have a good skill that is needed here, you can find work....especially with English-speaking firms and universities.
Example: suppose you have a PhD in economics from a good school. That's enough to earn you at least 50K€ a year in say, American University of Paris. Or any of the elite French institutions in france that teach economics in english....

So, don't listen to naysayers....you can make it here in France with or without the French language. ...you just have to have other skills.
Goodluck!