Are Pre-Nuptial Agreements Really Necessary?

To be clear, I'm talking about prenup agreements when a foreigner marries an Indonesian. 

I've been having these ongoing discussions for almost as long as I've been living here, which is going on 17 years. 

During that time I've met plenty who ascribe to their necessity, and an equal number of those who dismiss the need all together. 

Usually the importance of a prenup centers around the national government having the right to make an “execusi” or seizure of the land property of an Indonesian national who marries a foreigner without a prenup, and where the foreign spouse has died.  However, in my neck of the woods, which is Bali, I have never heard of the government stepping in and declaring ownership of any property with the Hak Milik (land deed) issued to the Indonesian spouse post marriage to a foreigner and where the foreign spouse subsequently passed away. 

Has anyone ever heard of this happening?  And by that question, can we dismiss hearsay or rumor, and be factual?

In the event this discussion gets serious, and one which is engaging to other readers, allow me to inject a few “curve balls.”

What if in that union of Indonesian/foreigner there are dual national children? 

And, with the assumption that a prenup is indeed important, what about a “postnup” agreement…or is the consensus that the couple needs to remarry (and now with a prenup), because a postnup will simply not be sufficient?

prenup is crucial doesnt matter who you marry,

this kind of thing you cant take it subjectively, when couple seperate 90percent never in good terms, you dont want to end up from sitting in the back seat of a Mercedes to riding motorcyle to work. you dont want end up from a home owner to renting.

I cant urge u strong enough to get a good notary to arrange u with a superb prenup agreement. I heard that the best prenup agreement format is the one prepared by Hotman paris, regardless of his eccentric appearance, the man is a really good lawyer.

Kardus, the foreign spouse has NO chance of being a "home owner" in the first place!

There are many ways around tht, get the spouse to sign a loan agreement where the house is use as collateral, your lawyer will help you with many different ways in which u can secure the value of the asset

If u sign prenup saying tht when the house is sold u each get half of whatever its worth, with prenup u walk away with at least something, without prenup u walk away with child support only

Fair division of assets is an important part of a pre-nup, I agree, but in no way would the foreign spouse be able to retain ownership of the house as you inferred earlier. 

Do you have a foreign wife, or are you just "flying by the seat of your pants" here?   ;)

Better than a prenup is being smart with your money. If you have kids with your indonesian spouse then consider buying property in your spouses name as an investment for your kids future. If things turn bad then let her keep the property. Being smart means investing only a small part of your money in Indonesia and the rest elsewhere in your own name.