Home country documents and translations

Hi all, could you please advise about documents and translations. I will get my home country documents in my native language and will tranalate both to english and spanish localy by certified translator (this could also be approved by local notary).

So I will have 2 sets: original + english, original + spanish. Both sets will be appostiled at my Ministry of Foreign Afairs. I presume I would not need to translate them again to spanish in Paraguy and just get them appostiled by Paraguayn Foreign Ministry. Correct?

p.s. these documents for residency application.

It is quite likely that they will only accept documents translated by official translators IN PARAGUAY, unless the translation is done by the Consulate of Paraguay in your country, and that will cost a small fortune. That's certainly the way it is here in Brazil and most other South American countries.

You get the original documents, Birth Certificate long form, single certificate (or equivalent), divorce certificate or decree, etc., and have them legalized by the Consulate in your country and authenticated by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (or equivalent), then have them translated in Paraguay.

Cheers,
James        Expat-blog Experts Team

James, thank you very much. Paraguay now is a part of Apostille Convention, so I think lagalization by Consulate is not neeeded anymore. Documents should be appostiled by home country Ministry of Foreign Afairs and then legalized by Paraguay Ministry of Foreign Afairs. Correct?

So in case in home country original documents +english+spanish translations (done by certified translator) are appostilled by Ministry of Foreign Afairs, thus confirming their authenticity why they can not be used?

Not the way it works here, so I can't tell you for sure. Hopefully one of our members in Paraguay who has recently gone through the process can give you more information.

Cheers,
James

skysun,

Apostille is accepted and there wont be no need to legalize through Ministry of Foreign Affairs. but your documents do need to be translated by a local certified translator.

Cheers and Happy New Year

Are you sure I do not need appostiled documents to be legalized by Paraguyan Ministry of Foreign Affairs?

It does not make any sense to translate already translated to spanish and apposiled documets by local certiified translator. Spanish to spanish translation?

Only with Apostille is enough. Legalization of documents through the paraguayan consulate are to authenticate the consul's signature only. In this case, the consul is not signing your documents. I know this first hand.

Another point. Translations are only recognized as legal ones if they are done here. It clearly says that on the list of required documents to apply.

http://www.migraciones.gov.py/documents … a404d4c79a

LoreLaterra, you probably meant legalization of documents legalized by consul at Paraguay Ministry of Foreign Afairs? Please confirm Migraciones will accept appostiled documents without any problem. Thanks.

How many copies of appostiled documents to have on hands? Maybe 3? Or more?

Skysun, I'm replying now because my account was blocked.

I am 100% sure appostiled documents do not need to be legalized by Pyan consulate.

Bring two copies, just in case.

Hi there :) Can anyone recommend any official document translators, preferably in Asuncion Centro?  What are reasonable costs for translation?