How to buy a used car in Morocco

Hi Everyone,
I'm an american married to a Moroccan, and we're living in the US currently. We want to purchase a car next time we go to Morocco using cash, but our money is in American accounts presently. How can we safely transport or otherwise access the money to buy a used car? My husband seems to think we should just carry cash with us and convert currency there. We can't wire transfer it because the amount we think exceeds the allowable limit. We're open to any and all creative (but safe/reliable) ideas.
Thanks in advance.

I'm in Morocco now and have my funds in Canadian and I use ATMs to withdraw just need to know the amount in Canadian and conversion fee and what not that could work, btw does your husband originally live in Morocco or American. I am in the process of paperwork with Canada embass, and we eventually want to go back to Canada and live there, I know process will be slightly different, but how hard or easy was it for you to get paperwork for him to live there, what kind of papers or things you need

Hi

Open a convertible account in Morocco and transfer the sums needed by internet banking to that Moroccan account from your American one. This shouldn't be a problem for the non-Moroccan partner, who can open such an account.

Otherwise you could use those old things, travellers' cheques, if your bank does them and then change them at the Bank al-Maghrib when you get here.

Don't bring cash, it's too risky. There are also import/export limitations.

Thanks for the quick reply, but I don't think we can use the ATM to withdraw such a huge sum of money - we are looking to buy something in the realm of 20 thous. Euros. Any other ideas?

Regarding my husband, he is moroccan, and he is now considered a permanent resident of the US. The paperwork was endless, complex, and took forever. Took us a year to get his visa interview, and once here it took 2 more years to get his Green Card (Permanent Resident status). I hope your experience goes more quickly. My main advice is to involve an immigration lawyer if you need clarification or assistance with the forms. We did it all on our own and found it daunting. Someone with more expertise and experience could well be worth it. Also, make sure that if you do all the forms on your own that you follow and complete them correctly and precisely. Any error will result in the form being returned to you for completion/correction and then only sent back to the waiting line to be re-processed. Best of luck! Be patient and it will happen.

Certainly ATM limits are 4000 dirhams a day for UK cards, so this method would never work.

Why are you spending so much on a car? Are you planning to live there permanently? For short trips over to Morocco, this is far too much.

Open a convertible account.

The car will be for a family business we operate in morocco, which is why we are spending that much.

20,000 Euro's is quite a lot just for a car. While I'm no businessman, I can't help but consider it a hefty sum.

I must admit I was thinking the same myself last night. If the business in Morocco cannot support such an expenditure locally, it cannot be generating much profit. How wise is it to make such a substantial transfer to Morocco in this case?

Do bear in mind that if you want to transfer your money out again, you may only export 4,000 Euros a year. It would take 5 years to get the 20,000 back.

Was he able to go to the states before he had a visa interview and what not or no because he is married to you? Or do you have to wait and do all before he can even enter?

No worries. That's an upper limit to spend and will surely make it back as the business is my husband's tour company, which is already a profitable and well-established business he has run for several years. Vehicles are a must for the business and need to be large, comfortable, and nice as they are one of the main faces of our business and reputation. We've never had to buy one since he came here so now we are figuring out the logistics.

We were married after he got his visa and came to the US.

danie s wrote:

No worries. That's an upper limit to spend and will surely make it back as the business is my husband's tour company, which is already a profitable and well-established business he has run for several years. Vehicles are a must for the business and need to be large, comfortable, and nice as they are one of the main faces of our business and reputation. We've never had to buy one since he came here so now we are figuring out the logistics.

Well if it's your husbands tour company, I hope for your own sake, if you're going to part with your cash for this vehicle, that you're actually part of this company officially on paper.

danie s wrote:

I'm really sorry, but I simply don't understand why a " profitable and well-established business he has run for several years" needs a huge cash injection from you. Why can't the business purchase this vehicle out of its profits? If it can't, then give up the idea. You will never get the 20,000 Euros back if the business is not generating the profits needed to buy it in the first place!

That's a lot of assumptions ur making about the business and certainly not the type of feedback I requested in my post. Thanks anyway.

He has many, many years of experience living in Morocco, and understands the culture, saw foreigners get involved in business & were deceived later on, and so on, from what I understood from his comment, it's all about being careful, especially in a society that isn't exactly well known for it's honesty.