Flying with a cold/sinusitis

Hi guys.. Not to do with living in Malta I just wanted to ask has anyone ever flown with congestion if so what happened and does anyone have any tips?
I had flu last week and sinusitis this week. I've been on antibiotics and a steroid nasal spray but it hasn't worked! I can still feel the congestion and my ears are sore!
My son has also had a cold but has also been on antibiotics. Nasal spray and cough medicine for the congestion and he is much better than he was.
I'm flying on Monday and getting desperate now!!!!
Anyone any tips for me???
Thanks

buy water at the airport , (you cant take it through securtiy sadly) plus some lemon and honey sweets to suck on plane and youll be ok ,i flew from uk with a cold couple a weeks ago and i was ok just made sure i had water and sweets... also the stewardesses will provide ice if you ask nicely .. thats what i did it really helped

Antibiotics are useless against 'colds'.
A 'cold' is a viral infection not a bacterial infection.
The only risk apart from discomfort is the risk to other passengers becoming infected.
Useless fact: since smoking was banned on a/c the cabin air is not fully exchanged for fresh air as it used to be.
Only appx 50% is fresh, the rest is recycled.
This is done to conserve energy.
However, one suggestion to try to avoid pain and discomfort is to buy air pressure-regulating ear plugs. These are cheap, reusable ear plugs that are often sold at airports and in many pharmacies. These ear plugs slow the rate of air pressure change on the eardrum. (It is the rapid rate of pressure change on the eardrum that is the problem and these earplugs slow this down.) Follow the instructions that come with them. Basically, you put them in before the door of the aircraft is shut. Some people then wear them for the entire flight. Some people take them out when the plane reaches cruising height, and then place them in again just before the plane starts to descend to land.
I would also recommend taking some form of regular dose antihistamine starting now before you fly.

Thanks rob... Silly question but what would the ice be for?

Thanks redmik. I do use earplanes already i never fly without them as I have bad ears on a plane even when I'm not ill  :sosad:

Antibiotics was for my son as he was getting a temp and she didn't know where from so she gave them as a precaution? Mine was because she thought the sinuses had become infected but its had no affect anyway I'm still stuffed up! The nose spray isn't working too well either! I am going to go and get some Sudafed this morning and start on them.

When I fly soon as we start decent i constantly have a tissue over my face with albas on to smell. Earplanes in and am drinking through about 3 bottles of water!

I am terrified of my ear drum bursting or something because me eustrian tubes are congested  :o  to look at me I don't look like I'm ill.. I have no runny nose or anything... Its all congested in my head and face and ears so it seems!

Don't know what to do !  :/

stef88 wrote:

Don't know what to do !  :/

Just think of the joy of being with family for Christmas.  :D
We could well be on the same flight, we are off to London for Christmas  :D
And Albas oil is brilliant stuff also good for tired and aching muscles.
Have a good one!

PS. The ice would be to suck on and swallow as swallowing helps to balance the pressures.

I'm going to Manchester... Believe me you probably won't want to be on my flight  :lol:

I'm a scaredy cat! I have cancelled 2 flights before for having ear infections!

Maybe I should dig out one of my old one of these  ;)

http://gasmask.voila.net/pict_287.jpg

I was thinking more you may not be able to cope with my uncontrollable screaming with the pain !!!! You may need more than earplugs !!  :lol:

Joking aside... I'm still terrified !!

ice- useful to suck on , cools the throat lol or just to chill your water :)

dont be scared , im sure you will be fine ... Ryan (assuming your not flying easyjet)  will take very good care of you ...for a huge fee of course :) ......
just make sure to suck and swallow lots (sorry i cant make that sound any less dirty)...and try not to worry about it

enjoy your flight

Thanks rob.. Honestly im a paranoid mess over it all.. Doesnt help good old google gave me some lovely horror stories!

Haha actually yep easyjet! They was the same price for the dates I wanted.. Unusual  :/

I have sweets..water.. Albas.. Painkillers.. Soon to have Sudafed... Nasal spray.. Earplugs.. Not much more I can do.. Apart from not go  :o

I you advice to make herb teas of thyme !! That works very well. It is necessary to boil some water with the thyme and to let infuse 15 minutes. You drink it all day, and you should get better. Try and give me news.....It is a recipe of a grandmother of the South of France !!

There's few things worse than feeling ill before flight. I just recently returned from Malta feeling like I was going to collapse! The night before flying, I was attacked, over, and over, by mosquitoes and had no sleep because of it.  My whole body was covered in swelling the size of half a snooker ball. I was throwing up constantly and seriously worried they wouldn't let me on the flight (I thought I looked like I had ebola!). I couldn't wear my wedding ring due to my swelled sausage fingers....I really don't get along with mosquitoes! And typically, they only decided to bother me the night before returning to the uk!

So yeah, I know how it feels to fly feeling, erm, rough. My only remedy was 10 euros on cheap shots of spirits to put me to sleep! Not an ideal solution, I know, but I simply couldn't stand the pain anymore. The chemist in the Maltese airport gave me, wait for it....a pro biotic drink!

Regarding the flu and colds. I used to suffer like clockwork every year with colds and flu. 6 years ago I started taking high doses of Vitamin D3, and have never suffered with a cold or flu since. Worth a try, and it's a cheap vitamin if imported.

Thanks isbelle I will try that 😊

Oh no sounds awful !! I have never flown feeling rough.. Flew once after having an ear infection but I had been on antibiotics for 6 days prior so was almost cleared up!

I'm on the Sudafed now (well nurofen) that's all they had.. And vit C tabs the strong ones that u dissolve... Don't think I can do anymore accept get drunk?!

Pro biotic drink haha!!! That's gonna do u the world of good  ;)

Where are these shots purchased? Airport or on the plane??

i wouldnt buy on the plane not without a mortgage lol ... but each to thier own

I've never bought alcohol on a plane or in an airport before ... I'm clueless  :/

Oh, we bought the shots (miniatures) at the 'duty  free' in the airport. It's always on offer, 5 for 10 euro. (or 4, can't remember).

Yeah, wouldn't dare consider to purchase on our Ryan air journey. Symptoms would've worsened at the shock of the prices.

I just necked 2 or 3 JD's and fell asleep on the plane :)

It is not advisable to consume alcohol before or during any flight especially if also taking medication. (Much medication advises against the use of alcohol .)

Quote: Alcohol is no ordinary commodity and flight altitude is no ordinary condition for human beings. Changes in air pressure, fatigue from flying, and especially dehydration all cause alcohol to be more potent than usual. With less water in the body, the effect of alcohol will be stronger, leading to quicker intoxication and increased potential for a hangover. Flying is a stressful event for many and alcohol may only heighten this stressful experience. Under increasingly stressful conditions, too much alcohol can make a simple annoyance into a serious problem.

Well i went mosta clinic last night for one last check up. Doctor says my ears are clear but are sore due to all the congestion I've had and probably inflamed abit. She said I can fly if I want but it could be a painful flight! Soooo wish me luck guys  :)
Its our Xmas eve tonight in Malta and our Xmas day in the morning then off we go to do it all again in England!
Merry Christmas all and thank you  :top:

I wish you a safe and comfortable journey.

stef88 wrote:

Well i went mosta clinic last night for one last check up. Doctor says my ears are clear but are sore due to all the congestion I've had and probably inflamed abit. She said I can fly if I want but it could be a painful flight! Soooo wish me luck guys  :)
Its our Xmas eve tonight in Malta and our Xmas day in the morning then off we go to do it all again in England!
Merry Christmas all and thank you  :top:

Il-Milied it-Tajjeb

and have a safe journey home , hope its not too painful and enjoy a cold christmas with lots of snow :)