Season greetings without the snow

holiday greetings everyone. What is everyone doing for the holidays. My house will have a christmas tree with lights around the house and outside. For happy New Year it will be a open house for all who visit.
Employees get a Christmas basket and for New year they get 13th month.  Bon Annee 2015 to all

Hello MadagascarLife,

Warm wishes for the new year 2015 from the Expat.com Team  :up: 

Can you tell us the way Christmas and New Year celebrations are done in Madagascar?

Have a wonderful new year 2015 :)
Shaazia
Expat.com Team

Merry Christmas and a very happy new year.  We celebrate Christmas much like westerners with a tree and Santa Claus giving gifts under the tree and leaving milk and cookies for Santa Claus. My wife who is Malagasy and like many Malagasy they celebrate the holidays with friends and family with meals and drink, soft drink and adult beverages. We have an open door and give snacks and drinks for people will pass to just say happy new year for 20 minutes then they go other homes.
It is not so much a celebration for Jesus Christ but is can be for those who went to church when they were young such as my wife. This culture is the cult of the dead for about 50% of the Malagasy population but 100% respect the long life of their family.  There is equally Muslims here and Christians practicing people. But the Holiday is a festival for all as many stores close and give their employees a month off with pay.  People here are poor so food with chicken or beef is most often the gift of the celebration and some get very good clothes that will last them till next year.
My employees get a gift basket for Christmas with some money so they can buy a excellent meal. For New years I give then a extra month salary gift called 13th month so they can buy food clothes and relax with family or go to the beach with family for a picnic.  All in all it is a wonderful time of year and music sounds out from all houses and people sing as they pass by on the street and many have one to many beers but it is just happy people who give extra grettings.  People forget their problems and least for a short time. That is Christmas and happy new year here in the  tropics --Again happy holidays to all and stay safe.