Do you need qualifications to teach chinese in Brazil

Hi there,

I stumbled into this site by chance and found the information about moving furniture extremely useful. i noticed a thread regarding teaching English in Brazil as a private tutor. I am just wondering if you need formal qualifications to do so?

A little background about myself, I am following my fiancé (will be husband by then) to Brazil in June 2015. He is sent their to work for 3 years and as a spouse I get to tag along (complete with visa.. Although I'm not entirely sure what sort I will get). I am a pharmacist by training in singapore but have always been tutoring high school kids on the side since my university days. Would love to continue teaching in Brazil... And am exploring teaching chinese either as a part time teacher or as a private tutor.

Hello Jurjacyc and welcome to Expat.com

While waiting for members to respond back, I invite you to read out our articles in our guide, section Work in Brazil to gather some useful infos.

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team

If you are going to teach for one of the "commeercial" language schools then for Chinese you would need little in the way of qualifications other than being a native speaker of the language and passably fluent in Portuguese so that you could communicate at a basic level or better.

As a non-citizen the public school system and public universities are closed to you so that isn't even worth worrying about here.

In private schools and universities the requirements depend on the individual institution and you'd need to ask them directly.

Teaching private students, apart from being a native speaker of the language, some students would like to see some kind of formal education in the language itself, not necessarily a degree per se, but some kind of certificate to teach the language. However, here too being a native speaker of the language is still more important.... also the higher your level of fluency in Portuguese the better you will relate with students so it's always a big plus to be as fluent as possible in Portuguese.

Cheers,
James      Expat-blog Experts Team

You can establish a healthy clientele privately with a website, basic advertising, and visiting larger multinational corporations that do business in Asia.

If you have training as a private tutor then you'll know that a custom lesson plan, teaching material, and responding to student inquires will help set you apart from most teachers and even most of the private language schools.

I agree with James that having fluency in Portuguese is a must have in order to get more business.

If you want to follow up on your pharmacist training then try contacting local private hospitals, Asian institutions/businesses in need of healthcare related work, and large international pharmaceutical firms.

Good luck.