Where can I buy a GoPro in Ho Chi Minh?

Looking to buy a GoPro, anyone know where I can get my hands on one?

Thanks!

James

Save your money, there are much, much better POV's out there. Sony has a great one and it's available at Sony stores with service in TP HCM.

GoPro is overrated - the batteries barely survive a year and they require recharging every 2-3 hours of use. There is no authorised dealer in VN, either.

Even in the hot weather of VN, as well as the cooler weather or under water, the lens tends to fog up between the two sections of the lens. One part of the lens is an integral part of the plastic housing and the other part is part of the camera proper. The fogging occurs between them.

The Go-Pro mounts are very, very, weak - again plastic. We had stainless steel mounts made. I met one guy who said another motorcyclist had ripped his helmet mounted unit from him! (Attached by a poor quality GoPro sticky pad) Our locally made mounts are impossible to break/bend and they are secured by a separate stainless steel cord.

The GoPro is very fussy about which SD memory chips you use. Most don't work including Kingston.

Sony HDR-AS100VR POV - USD$338
Sony AS30V High Definition POV Action - USD$238
Sony AZ1 Action Camera Mini POV HD Video - USD$228

(Google for info)

I wouldn't buy a Sony anything if it gold plated and came with two full service 18 year old virgins.
Sony's version is bigger, less able, and it's Sony - probably meaning it isn't going to work with anything else, and be a pain to use.
I hate Sony stuff like you wouldn't believe.
The gopro is far better.
The comment about the SD card is less than perfect. All the gopro needs is a class 10 card, then only if you use the top quality video available. Lesser quality, still very good, will work with any card.

The gopro mounts I use work very well, showing no signs of problems, but I added a safety stap anyway. A simple neck band for an ID card, the loop going through the helmet strap.
Cost - almost nothing.

Lenses will fog, if you allow water into the case.
Being slightly careful will avoid this user created problem.

PS.
If someone tries to rip off a sticky pad, you can hardly claim the pad is at fault, or poor quality.
Try blaming the ghost in the story "the guy you met" told you.
A second hand story would hardly stand up in court, more so if it was some drunk in a bar.

mas fred wrote:

Lenses will fog, if you allow water into the case.
Being slightly careful will avoid this user created problem.

You are wrong on this. I have two GoPro's on my motorcycle and I wear third one and they ALL suffer from 'misting'. We have another GoPro near our office door and it, too, suffers from misting.

And it is neither humidity or temperature related.

And it certainly has nothing to do with the user. In fact GoPro knows it has a problem - if you look at their web site. And our door unit never gets wet. The problem lies between the two parts of the lens which are gas tight - which is better than watertight.

As for the sticky pad I saw the remains on his helmet - typical appearance of something having been torn away - this time by a thief. Mine is riveted to my helmet and the flimsy plastic mount has been replaced with a duplicate in stainless.

As for the bar, I thought it was against your adopted religion.

mas fred wrote:

I wouldn't buy a Sony anything if it gold plated and came with two full service 18 year old virgins.
Sony's version is bigger, less able, and it's Sony - probably meaning it isn't going to work with anything else, and be a pain to use.
I hate Sony stuff like you wouldn't believe.
The gopro is far better.
The comment about the SD card is less than perfect. All the gopro needs is a class 10 card, then only if you use the top quality video available. Lesser quality, still very good, will work with any card.

Personally I don't care about anything than performance as I don't pay for the equipment and I am free to choose any product I wish.

Sony is not the only alternative and they have models smaller than GoPro. In actuality GoPro is simply a Chinese generic product they adopted. Three or four other manufacturers have identical units albeit with different colour schemes. AND LESS COSTLY than GoPro.

The problem with SD memory chips has nothing to do with the claimed class rather it has to do with die manufacturer - the chip under the plastic.

When you state "I hate Sony stuff like you wouldn't believe" it invalidates your comments. The phrase "probably meaning it isn't going to work with anything else" implies that you don't know.

The Sony dimensions of one model are 0.9 x 1.9 x 3.2" / 24.0 x 47.0 x 82.0 mm and includes GPS and 'Steadycam'.

Other manufacturers include: Tachyon, Drift, Contour, Swann, GoBandit, DigCam, etc. The bottom line is do you due diligence and buy the best for your location. Having to send something out of country is a pain.

Odd.
The gopro on my helmet stays on the helmet, but there are fewer people on bikes that rip them off as you drive around.
Perhaps you should consider moving to a country with a lower crime rate.
As for misting - nothing at all, even from the air conditioned car to outside and turn on.
Still, I make sure my case is dry before I open it, just so no water can get in.
As for the helmet, it showed a piece torn away?
Perhaps the poor quality sticky pad is better than you thought.
PS good luck if you crash your bike. Those drill holes in your helmet will create a serious weakness in its structure, perhaps leaving your head looking like a smashed egg if you engage in a tank slap.

Flimsy plastic mount?
I think you must have bought cheap rip off gopros, not the real things.
When I bought mine, a rip off shop tried to sell me a rip off one, and it was as you describe, cheap and flimsy.
My plastic gopro mounts are solid, and I have no issues with the quality.

I'm starting to think you were conned into buying the rip off ones.

Checked out the fogging and as is usual, I'm correct.
The problem is one of careless handling, easily solved, if you can be bothered, and don't jusr waste your company's money when you can cure the problem for pennies.

actiongear.co.za/how-to-prevent-fogging-on-your-gopro

I still have the original 1st go pro and I also use the Contour Roam 2. Though last I heard they are out of business. Had such great potential. Supposedly you could live view on your iPhone or some other mobile devices through Bluetooth.

Drilling holes in a helmet, now that makes structural sense,but then again when you know everything it really doesn't matter does it.

mas fred wrote:

Checked out the fogging and as is usual, I'm correct.
The problem is one of careless handling, easily solved, if you can be bothered, and don't jusr waste your company's money when you can cure the problem for pennies.

You are wrong, again. Obviously you don't have too much GoPro experience.

When I purchase a product I expect it to work with having to buy remedial products. It's like buying a car the having to splurge on a fuel injector controller.

I think, with 11 GoPro units, we have the experience to judge a poor product. Nor even the crappy Oregon Scientific POV fogged up and it had one good feature - it used standard AA cells.

The solution for the GoPro defect is as close as your opticians (defogger for eyeglasses) or industrial supply house (defogger for work goggles). (We have used Silica Gel - the trouble is not in the case but between the lens elements)

Instead of USD$20-25 batteries the answer is to be found in your local electronics supply store where comparable Lion batteries cost USD$5.35.

If you can't get service or supplies for a product where you live, that product is a dubious choice.

I'm sure gopro can change the laws of physics to suit you.
I heard they're going to email God, just to save you the effort of using your kit with care.
Of course, you could ask God (or the dark prince) yourself in the case of your drilled helmet splitting in two when you have an accident.

There goes the problem when you don't have to shell out the cash, you don't take care of the gear.

colinoscapee wrote:

Drilling holes in a helmet, now that makes structural sense,but then again when you know everything it really doesn't matter does it.

I asked my first motorcycle instructor how much I should spend on a new helmet.
"How much is your head worth?", said he.

I may be a little self interested here, but my simple and cheap safety strap is a tad better than risking painting a road with an interesting shade of brain coloured goo because I drilled holes in my helmet.

The strap, held onto the excellent quality gopro mount with cable ties, will stop me losing the camera in the event of the sticky pad failing.
I don't recall how much this cost, but it was pennies, and far cheaper than a few years in a coma unit....or the cost of a funeral.

More seriously - Jaitch, bin that helmet before you find out I'm right.
However, your serious error with the helmet does suggest you might very well be wrong on the rest of the subject in question, as you are.

You see, if you have a problem with one camera, it may well be the camera, but problems with a lot suggests the problem is with the user.

Oh, as a note; people here buy cheap batteries for their phones.
They don't work very well, and they have been known to burn houses down, but they're cheap, so that's ok.
As I said, if your willing to cut corners, try so buy cheap, and fail to look after equipment, you will have problems.
You can't complain about poor batteries, but admit you buy cheap crap.
You can't complain abour  gopro fogging fault, then admit other types have exactly the same problem when YOU use them.

A common technical error with all kit is a faulty user.

mas fred wrote:

Oh, as a note; people here buy cheap batteries for their phones.
They don't work very well, and they have been known to burn houses down, but they're cheap, so that's ok.
As I said, if your willing to cut corners, try so buy cheap, and fail to look after equipment, you will have problems.
You can't complain about poor batteries, but admit you buy cheap crap.
You can't complain abour  gopro fogging fault, then admit other types have exactly the same problem when YOU use them..

Only GoPro has the fogging problem. If you look at the GoPro web site, even better Google the misting problem, you will find many, many complaints about fogging. The Oregon Scientific didn't fog - it had other problems such as a glued access to the electronics - just like Apple. Oregon Scientific, as I said, used AA cells not some fund-raising shaped battery that barely lasted a year. Many other POV cameras also use standard batteries.

As I said, buy the camera that is supported in the country of use, not some orphan.

I am a qualified electronics technician. The replacement batteries are Panasonic types - better than the originals - which are no name generic batteries. I don't buy cheap, I buy good products at wholesale prices as we have a VAT licence.

There is an unauthorised GoPro seller in HCM but his prices are excessive.

Hi,

If you want to buy GoPro and ship to VietNam. You can contact me. 
What type of GoPro do you want ?
Hero3 , Hero 3+. The Hero4 & 4+ are the newest serries.
I can order for you and ship to VietNam.

regards
Mickey

Get someone to look into this place in Danang.......http://silversun.co/index.php?route=common/home

Hero - $129.99 (manufacturers suggested)
Hero - $157.00 (lowest price on VN)

Khanh Long Camera - 35 Le Loi - Q.1 - HCMC
Tan Long Camera - 135 Nguyen Hue (Tax Center) - HCMC
Vinh Hung Camera -  135 Nguyen Hue (Tax Center) - HCMC
Thanh Camera - 45 Le Loi - Q.1 - HCMC
Slap Camera - 35 Le Loi - Q.1 - HCMC

But before handing over any money - check warranty and local service!

[ Moderated ]

Jaitch wrote:

Hero - $129.99 (manufacturers suggested)
Hero - $157.00 (lowest price on VN)

Khanh Long Camera - 35 Le Loi - Q.1 - HCMC
Tan Long Camera - 135 Nguyen Hue (Tax Center) - HCMC
Vinh Hung Camera -  135 Nguyen Hue (Tax Center) - HCMC
Thanh Camera - 45 Le Loi - Q.1 - HCMC
Slap Camera - 35 Le Loi - Q.1 - HCMC

But before handing over any money - check warranty and local service!

Good advice,always check the warranty.

Jaitch wrote:

Hero]

Serious stuff.
You'd better post proof quickly as the forum could get into trouble if that turns out to be a lie.

Edited to remove accusation from quote.

Only GoPro has the fogging problem. If you look at the GoPro web site,

I did.
It tells how you can solve the user misuse problem.
By the way, my glasses fog up when I get out of the air conditioned car, into the hot humid streets.
Only my glasses do this, so it must be a manufacturing fault....or you post less than accurate information.

Do the shops listed above carry accessories as well?  I'm looking for a battery charger, The Bike Shop in D2 didn't have them yet.