Need information about relocating to England

Hi.  I am from NY in the US and my husband was born in the Dominican Republic but lived in NY all his life.  We moves to the Dominican Republic this year to experience his native culture.  We have a 6 year old daughter and thought it would also be good for her to have hands on life experiences and learn about her heritage.  We have decided that in the next 2 years we wish to relocate to either England or Australia and we are trying to gather some information to help us make a better informed choice.  That being said, we were hoping to use your expertise and experiences to answer some questions:

1. What would be the best city to live in with a family?  This should encompass a reasonable rent, good schools,safe neighborhood, public transportation fairly easily accessible and things for a family to do.

2. What are the typical average costs for things like groceries, rent (prefer a 2 or 3 bedroom with private yard) phone, cable, tv, school, clothing, transportation.

3. Do most people have cars or use public transit?
4. How is the job market? 
5. Does anyone have information on qualifying to migrate to Englad/ Great Britian?

I apologize for all of the questions but we will greatly appreciate any information you can provide.

Happy Holidays to all!!!

Imclmf,

You have asked lots of questions, you have not told what is the educational and professional skill of you and your spouse , we do not know how old you two are?

Different areas of UK are friendly to other races, I attempted guiding some members on this and got a warning from EB that discussion based on racial discrimination is not allowed on this forum.

Most of my friends are finding it easy to immigrate to Canada and Australia as opposed to the UK since there a lots of immigration categories and opportunities there.

I do not think an EB member will have an up to date knowledge on immigration advise, I suggest you speak to immigration lawyers who have expertise in these countries. Please be very careful, a lot of scams will tempt you and  ask you to transfer money for job or visa and if you are not careful, you will end up getting hurt. :unsure

Sorry, I probably should have included that information.  I am 43 and I am disabled and get monthly pension.  My husband is 38 and has done anything from landscaping to installation of sprinklers and solar panels for pools as well as cleaning and inspection of restaurant chimneys and ovens.  I would say he is a jack of all trades.

Wenwere hoping to get some basics and had also hoped perhaps folks could share the pathway they took to migrate and reside there so we would know what to expect.

Thanks for your reply.

Hi,
You can forget the UK as there is no chance of your husband getting a work visa unless he is a highly qualified professional such as a scientist, engineer or medic. You may have better luck with Australia as they are short of certain trades. You should also consider New Zealand for the same reason. Check out those country's shortage occupation lists. Good Luck.

hi.
   will try to answer as much as possible.

1. north of england much cheaper than south - yorkshire, lancashire, cheshire, etc.
2. good job prospects certain careers - I.T. - nursing - carer - computer industry - leisure - etc
3. shopping can be anywhere from £50 to £150 per week, depending on basic shop or luxury items.
4. most areas have motorway / rail links and, as uk is only about 200miles wide x 700miles long,
    you can reach any area within 12 to 18 hours ( 24 hours maximum ) eg i live in yorkshire - central uk
and can be on east or west coast in 2 to 3 hours, in scotland in under 6 hours and on south coast in
about 12 hours max.  accomodation is reasonable most areas but stay out of large city centres.
5. house rental can range from £300 per month to £600 per month, for flat or 2 bedroom house -
    again - depending on area and condition of property. must seek private landlord for instant access.

hope this helps.  any other info please feel free to ask + do best to answer
                      all above are approximate so some leeway at both ends.
                                                                                                                kind regards.  paul tunstill.
email - [email protected]

Shopping.
Supermarkets in the UK tend to be all very similar in price, so one link will give you a pretty good idea.
This will let you see prices for your favourite foods, and a lot more.

http://www.tesco.com/

If u go to the gov website there u can find all info for all kind of visas
Mostly visas to uk are point based so u score ur pointz u get the visa

I doubt your husband will get a working Visa based on being an odd job man but don't take my word for it check out the government web site.

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisat … mmigration

You would also need a Visa and your children.

The rest of your questions are irrelevant if you can't get in.