Netherlands WorkVisa, Residing in Belgium

Dear Friends,

I will be employed by a company in Netherlands (Work permit/Visa issued by Netherlands). I will pay the income tax in Netherlands. My assignment will be for a year, initially. My workplace will be in Belgium. I'll be moving with my family (wife and primary school going kid).

I have been given 2 options and need your advice to make a better choice:
Option 1.
Reside in Netherlands and travel cross-border everyday for work (The company says, doing so I can save a lot in taxes). My work location is in Kallo-Belgium, close to the Netherlands' border.
Question:
a. Has anyone done this and currently doing this cross-border trave between Netherlands-Belgium?
b. Do you see any issues with Belgium/Netherlands immigration (like checking documents daily, questioning, etc)
c. Will I be liable to income tax in Belgium?
d. Residing in Netherlands, can my son go to schools in Belgium (international or bilingual)?

Option 2:
Reside in Belgium
a. What additional tax/fee should I pay for the Belgium govt?
b. Will I be liable to income tax in Belgium, in addition to what I pay to Netherlands? (I read on a blog that if a person is resident of Belgium for more than 6 months, he is liable for tax for the income he earns worldwide)
c. Since I hold a Netherlands work permit, In Belgium will I be able to rent accommodation, send my son to a school, etc.?
d. Will the social security I pay in Netherlands be of any help in Belgium?
e. Any other information/issue I need to confirm with the company employing me?

Which of these options would you recommend?
Thanks a lot for your patience in answering these.

Best Regards,

Option 1:

-> There is literally no border checkpost. U just drive on the motorway and you see a small board saying "Belgie" and on your way back a small board saying "Nederland" :)

Hi Aneesh,
Thanks a lot for your response.
Any idea if my son can go to schools in Belgium, while residing in Netherlands?
Also, is there public transport between the 2 countries?

Regards,
Swamy

I imagine u cannot use the social facilities of Belgium unless you have a residence permit in Belgium, for which establishing a residence in Belgium is a must.

I have no clue about public transport. I know there are intercity, trains, buses, but no much idea :(

Hello haalesh! :)

kindly note that we have several categories of the forum, and it is always best to ask your questions in the relevant section of the forum.

This is done so as to best list the information so that others in the future can benefit from it.

Concerning your queries about tax, please create a new thread here >> Tax section  <<

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com Team

Thank you Kenjee.
Noted.

Regards.