A year in Istanbul

Hi all
i would like to share with you my short story of living and working in Istanbul and hope it will help you to get a better idea if you are planning to move to Istanbul:
i came here exactly one year ago and i heard so many things about it before i come like its expensive or not safe and cant find a job without learning the language, but i didnt care about that cuz i always wanted to come here and also as being Syrian i didnt really have many options,
through this year i managed to get my own apartment, work in a stable job as head of operations in a tourism agency where i didnt need the Turkish language very much.
1- The city is safe as long as u avoid some places that are famous for its bad reputation,
2- U dont need the language to have a work if u already have good experience in a certain field, but its much better to learn the basics before u move.
3- Turkish ppl are friendly in general but for sure u wl meet unfriendly ppl anywhere u travel
4- dont talk loud with ur language in public transportation ,, they dont like that at all
5- dont apply online for jobs ,, it might work but not that much , the best way is to go search by ur self and spread ur cv's around, or try to build a good connection with local ppl around u
6- make sure u live near to ur job as public transportation is not cheap and crowded
7- work permit and resident visa are not easy at all ,, especially if u dont speak Turkish but dont deal with an Office to do it for u cuz they charge 3 times higher ,, just be calm and try to get a friend WHO speaks Turkish to help u with it
8- Taxi drivers are not honest .. in general cuz they will try to charge u more so make sure u depend more on public transportation
9- its very easy to have more friends in Istanbul from Turkish or others and they can be very helpful
10 - the city is sooooo beautiful and u wl never stop liking it either old or new part
11- u can also enjoy travelling around in Turkey like Antalya, Trabzon , Bursa so u wil never feel bored
12- the least salary that can maintain a rent, transportation and cost without saving is 1500 tl = 680 USD = 535 Euros . at least
13- working hours are kind of long as it can reach to 12 hours and in general companies dont pay salary on time unless u r working for an international organization
AT THE END i wanna say Turkey is beautiful country and in real its more beautiful, it just that u need to be very serious about finding a decent job and good friends
i hope i managed to say important things and please ask if u have any certain question.

Number 4...that was a good one : ))

....and we dont like in public transportations when people even speak Turkish loudly :D

ooh no If it was Turkish nothing happens but if any other language Turkish ppl get upset so fast
i really have no clue why is that :)

Come on man, I am Turkish : )) As you've said, public transportation are pretty crowded that's why we just want peace and people who don't speak loudly...no matter which language they speak : )))

Well, I am totally OK with all languages but I don't like people who speak loudly in public places cos it's rude in my opinion as a Turk : ))

By the way. it's really nice to hear different languages in my city, Istanbul, because I like diversity :)

Ya thats what up i need an apt

Ahmed alomari u are right 100%
I confirm all!!!

Thanks so much for this insight. I am contemplating working in Instanbul for a year.

Well done ahmed  :happy:

I agree to all of your advices and information's exccpt two point which i think it's not totally right

Point number 2 :
you need the turkish language in order to work here , plus the experience is not enough to give a position unless* few of filed :like marketing and investments but rather than that , turkish is so so so so important to get a job .

Point number 6:
about the expensive transportion, well my friend, if we compare it to other European country its not that much , specially if your are student

All true....second year here and damn can't speak proper Turkish!

@ damora

i mentioned that im talking about Tourism field
for other fields Turkish is a must to learn

For transportation i was comparing to Dubai the place where i came from

and thanks for your notes