Travelling to Brazil with a passport that will expire in 5 months

Could this pose a problem? I used my old passport to apply for a weddinglicense there, so I am afraid it will give me problems in case I renew my passport in my country and travel to Brazil with it. So I am planning to take the one that will expire in 5 months and renew it there. Will I be allowed into the country in case my passport isn't valid for the full 6 months that in general are required?

Thanks,

Paul

I'm afraid that you'll have real problems if your passport isn't valid for at least 6 months following the date of your arrival. The Policia Federal are pretty strict on that issue. I'd recommend that you apply for a new passport right away. Make sure that you get the old passport cancelled and returned to you if it has a Consular Visa in it. If you are a Schengen Area or Visa Waiver Program country passport holder then that isn't so critical since you don't have a Consular Visa, just entry and exit stamps.

Cheers,
James       Expat-blog Experts Team

Hello James,

Thanks for the reply. I am in a Schengen Area (Holland) so I have no Visa in my passport, just the stamps. My question is, since we applied for marriage using my old passport (we did this because we never thought I would have to go back to Holland for 3 months) if it will be a problem getting married and applying for a permanent visa with my new passport.

No, they may ask for a copy of the passport page with your next entry stamp, but that's about all. There will be no other problems.

Ok man thanks, I was afraid all the documents that have my old passport number on it would have to be replaced with documents based on my new passport.

No, in fact, if you've already applied for Permission to Marry (Habilitação de Casamento) at the Cartório and they've already accepted your paperwork they will probably not even ask about your visa status or passport at all. They'll just go ahead an marry you without any further questions asked. That's been the experience of most people here.

I am more concerned about asking for Permanencia with my new passport when I got married using the old one. Then again, I don't think a passport number is listed on the wedding certificate.

Don't worry, the Policia Federal are well aware that passport numbers change. If you are applying for a new passport then ask to have the old passport cancelled and returned to you with the new one. Even if your old passport number appears on the Marriage Certificate you need only show the old passport to prove you are the same person. Things here in Brazil are complicated, but not THAT complicated.   :lol:

Ok thanks man, you are helping A LOT of people with your knowledge! Much obliged.