Part time work in Kuwait - good or bad idea?

Ola Expats!

it was recently decided to allow expats to work part time legally, i spoke about this on my blog (link)

the only question is; is this a good or bad idea?

as we have seen in the past, rarely do this propositions take merit - the sponsorship system has been rumored to be abolished for the past 2 years now, and we are still waiting. the only thing i saw come out of that was stricter rules on "designations" as per work permits, which are extremely vital to expat employees as they determine your ability to take a loan, to bring your wife to Kuwait, to get a licence for said wife, and to get visa on arrival in other GCC nations for holidays and what nots.

personally, i believe the part-time work system will fail.

From an audit perspective, it presents a conflict of interest. here you are, an employee with your residency on another company, doing for a different company, which of course will be in the same field i.e. accounting, sales etc. which opens the door for corporate espionage.

there are too many commercial faults with this, especially given that you remain on the employ of your sponsor.

what do you think?

Let's have a discussion.

I think it is a good idea, especially if university students are involved. Student who work while at university are generally better prepared for the world of work and know what they want.  Persons thinking of career change have the opportunity to explore new area. people can benefit from their turning thier hobbies into businesses via servce offerings.  Persons who want to maintain their skillset without full time commitment. There are more benfits I could think about.   

Also it will help those who wish to employee someone legally but not full time, for example a maid.  Knowing that I could do this legally now would help us employee a maid and not worry too much about the legal impact. Also it would allow maids/service personnel/teachers/etc. the opportunity the opportunity to explore employment options while working in their main job.  Also there is the financial benefits that some families can do with.

Personally I would like to teach part-time and hopefully could now do this within worrying about violating any regulations.   

Like most things here though its not the idea but the implementation. Clarity is not feature of regulations Kuwait.

you are right; i did not look at it from the perspective of someone only working part-time as opposed to having both a full and part time job.

i do think you still can teach part-time, depending on where you are teaching. Center and institutions etc. where you teach courses, i think they request for part-timers only.

might also have merit for dependents ...

i think it wont be beneficial for every one.it will help the government in reducing the expats at the same time keeping the small vacancies fulfilled,also lots of costs will be saved like sponsoring the employee,half pay,benefits etc.

It will be beneficial for lower income expats as they will be able to earn a little extra to meet there target savings.

As for people employed as accountants and Auditors,i think their jobs are better paying than the lower paid groups.