[Interviews] Mick in Gozo

Hello everyone!

This week, we are flying to Gozo with Mick.

Mick, British expat, is a retired British Forces officer. He moved permanently to Gozo with his wife two years ago after having been visiting Malta for several years. He enjoys Gozo for its particularly ancient look and environment.

To read his Interview, please click on the following link:

http://www.expat-blog.com/en/interview/307_mick-in-gozo.html

Feel free to post your comments on his Interview page and to share it with your friends on social networks.

Have a nice reading!  ;)

the tone of the whole interview has his whole negativity towards malta that he spreads on the forum , im all for reading about his experience but its not an interview that would have made me choose to live in malta if i was "new" to the place .. i think its such a shame  that it has such a negative tone

Hello robpw2.

Thanks for your response.

In fact, Mick's Interview is based on his own personal experience in the country. It's what the Interviews sections is all about.

In fact, the aim is to allow expats share their own personal feeling and give out tips to members, which, in my opinion, is the case of Mick.

You can post your comments on his Interview page if you wish.

Best regards,
Veedushi
Expat.com Team

robpw2 wrote:

the tone of the whole interview has his whole negativity towards malta that he spreads on the forum , im all for reading about his experience but its not an interview that would have made me choose to live in malta if i was "new" to the place .. i think its such a shame  that it has such a negative tone

Then I strongly suggest you read it properly!!!!
It is also my opinion based upon the questions posed.
I DO NOT spread negativity but express my realistic opinions as I see them.
Far better that than deceit and misleading information!!

I am NOT negative towards Malta or Gozo, I love it here and have done every time since 1977.
I am not blinded by only being here recently, my opinions are based upon living, working and visiting Malta and Gozo many, many times since then.
I wouldn't be here otherwise - would I?
It is not intended to 'sell' the 'good life' because there are always 'pros and cons'.
And please, what is so negative about my articles regarding Residence and Health information and Tips for Renting?
You do not seem to understand that helping people is not all about telling them what they want to hear or read.
It is about presenting information so they can make their own decisions.
Try a bit of critical analysis rather than succumbing to your personal feelings toward me.

for what it is worth and Red and I have crossed swords many times but not in anger nor with any bad intentions or feelings  but I have to say the interview is well balanced and in my opinion fair and reasonable - certanly not negative.... where that comes from i have absolutely no idea.

so well done red

Gratitude Toon  :top:

The article reads OK, I don't see any negativity.
He says it as he sees it and for the most part I agree with his views.

Anyone can look through rose coloured spectacles but the fact it Malta is over developed and there is a lot of litter and it doesn't seem to bother the Maltese!

He is ex military and like me doesn't see the point in telling people what they want to hear rather than the truth.

Terry

redmik wrote:
robpw2 wrote:

Then I strongly suggest you read it properly!!!!
It is also my opinion based upon the questions posed.
I DO NOT spread negativity but express my realistic opinions as I see them.
Far better that than deceit and misleading information!!

I am NOT negative towards Malta or Gozo, I love it here and have done every time since 1977.
I am not blinded by only being here recently, my opinions are based upon living, working and visiting Malta and Gozo many, many times since then.
I wouldn't be here otherwise - would I?
It is not intended to 'sell' the 'good life' because there are always 'pros and cons'.
And please, what is so negative about my articles regarding Residence and Health information and Tips for Renting?
You do not seem to understand that helping people is not all about telling them what they want to hear or read.
It is about presenting information so they can make their own decisions.
Try a bit of critical analysis rather than succumbing to your personal feelings toward me.

i have no personal feelings towards you as i don't know you ( i base my opinions on what i have seen from you on here ) ..  , there is nothing wrong with your information on health and tips for renting , in fact i told you i thought it was really useful list on that thread but sometimes you can come across on here as having digs at the Maltese and their way of life and other expats  and it seems to give a negative vibe.
I appreciate its your experience but its the way you express it .

i understand fully to give people information is to provide them with both sides of the coin and i wouldn't want it any other way however you often just slate the negative and make it clear that your way is the only way and you have in the past made it very clear people shouldn't listen to me because i lack your "experience" though you have only lived in Malta a couple of years .
you also constantly have a dig at me  with your comments about how long i have been here  and I'm not blinded by anything , my experiences are fresh in my mind , and  clearly we are different generations apart  so our experiences, etc will be hugely different , for me I'm still at an age where i can try something and if it doesn't work out  i can move on and i have less commitments , but that doesn't mean i don't appreciate your experiences or am willing to discuss things with you because i am and , sometime we even agree on stuff , but i am not going to sit here and pretend all your posts are as helpful as you think they might be .. post such as do you want me to do all the work for you etc... as seen on some threads from you are extremely rude.

I have never once said to anyone that i know everything and i am simply expressing my opinion about the negative vibe i feel you give off  sometimes ,  like in answer to some of the questions on the interview .

People may disagree with me and thats the beauty of the internet i suppose and the world we live in ,

anyway , well done on doing the interview it was nice to get a bit more insight into you,  i told you what i haven't liked but i really do think its helpful to get  an insight to other peoples experience and yes i agree with you on some points like bewaring of unscrupulous landlords and the cost of living etc

Thank you all for your appreciation.

Please feel free to share the Interview with your friends.  ;)

tearnet wrote:

The article reads OK, I don't see any negativity.
He says it as he sees it and for the most part I agree with his views.
Anyone can look through rose coloured spectacles but the fact it Malta is over developed and there is a lot of litter and it doesn't seem to bother the Maltese!
He is ex military and like me doesn't see the point in telling people what they want to hear rather than the truth.
Terry

Gratitude also  :top:

I'd still like to know where this bit really comes from:  the tone of the whole interview has his whole negativity towards malta that he spreads on the forum.

Still, Oh dear

Mick's interesting account of Malta and Gozo reflects fairly accurately my own experience of living on both islands, and it is not in the least bit negative, in fact quite the contrary. Thanks Nick for sharing.

I am sure I have met this man!  ;)

Rob, your reply to Redmik
'in fact i told you i thought it was really useful list on that thread but sometimes you can come across on here as having digs at the Maltese and their way of life and other expats  and it seems to give a negative vibe.
I appreciate its your experience but its the way you express it .'

I think Redmik's interview shows a balanced approach to life in Malta - I have also been here for close on 2 years. Regarding his negativity towards expats on this blog, I agree with you, his tone in responding to other peoples' opinions and know-all attitude is often insulting - along with his personal attacks on the blog and in private messages, I seldom bother to post anymore, watch this space, he will be back here in a flash being rude again - I used to reply to his insults but haven't bothered to do so for a couple of months, it's not worth my time and effort. For the record Rob, it has got nothing to do with you being younger, it's because your opinions aren't in line with his.  Toon gets it right,  knowledgeable, but never condescending,

rooikat wrote:

I think Redmik's interview shows a balanced approach to life in Malta - I have also been here for close on 2 years. Regarding his negativity towards expats on this blog, I agree with you, his tone in responding to other peoples' opinions and know-all attitude is often insulting - along with his personal attacks on the blog and in private messages, I seldom bother to post anymore, watch this space, he will be back here in a flash being rude again - I used to reply to his insults but haven't bothered to do so for a couple of months, it's not worth my time and effort. For the record Rob, it has got nothing to do with you being younger, it's because your opinions aren't in line with his.  Toon gets it right,  knowledgeable, but never condescending,

Totally agree. we have been here a little longer and see nothing wrong with the interview it's the posts, many of which are unnecessary and often 'cut and paste' from sources that everyone can access. Along with that is the intolerence and often abrasive attitude, particularly to newcomers and the persistant PM's and pushing one particular rental agency. 3000+ posts in 2 years seems excessive to me!

I also got fed up with it and decided not to bother with the blog anymore and actually emailed and asked to be removed from the system but got an email from Julien asking me to stay and that they would look into the situation. No change though!

Ray

I think it's important to get some balance to all this and I , like several others , have no problem with the actual interview which seems pretty well balanced and informative regarding life in Malta !
However I do agree with the previous posts regarding how rude , intolerant and often damn right insulting this man can be at times ! - it often seems to be ' My way or the highway ' type of attitude and all this " better to be upfront and save people from making costly mistakes " way of thinking , quite frankly is no excuse for the way he responds to people on this forum ! - perhaps if enough people come forward and complain , then something might be done about it !!! - won't hold my breath though because if you look back through his previous posts , people have pulled him up about his attitude over the years but the man simply never learns !!!!

Here we go again, same old, same old.
I have been expecting a couple of 'personalities' to jump on this.
Don't like it, don't read it - simples!
Want to do something about it?
Go ahead.
No skin off my nose.

Here's a copy and paste..................Had we not faults of our own, we should take less pleasure in complaining of others.
François Fénelon

Listen , if you want to carry on like some kind of ex-pat Victor Meldrew , no problem ..........just accept the fact that every now and again , people might take exception to you !!!! - anyway can't be long till you reach your holy grail eh ........EB EXPERT !!!!!!😂😂 - that's me done on this thread , over and out 😀

Moyes14 wrote:

Listen , if you want to carry on like some kind of ex-pat Victor Meldrew , no problem ..........just accept the fact that every now and again , people might take exception to you !!!! - anyway can't be long till you reach your holy grail eh ........EB EXPERT !!!!!!😂😂 - that's me done on this thread , over and out 😀

:lol: If only you knew how funny that is to me.
I actually do not care for any rating, I just like to try to help people.
Shame some, who do not know me, do not comprehend that.
I have a lot of spare time, sleep little and retired, so I can become as involved as I do.

Hello everyone!

As many of you have noticed, we have invited Mick to participate in the Interviews section so that he can share his own expat experience with other members. In fact, that is the sole objective of this section: to allow expats in countries around the globe to share their experience and give out useful tips to those who wish to travel or settle in the respective countries.

Thus, Mick has given us his own opinion about how he sees life in Malta. We have definitely not sensed negativity. We sincerely hope you will understand our aim behind this Interview.

Besides, feel free to contact us if you also wish to share your own expat experience in the country.  ;)

Best regards,
Veedushi
Expat.com Team